Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I've noticed this happen a lot with the new website update and look, in which people are commenting on threads that are years and years old. I suspect it is because of the new "Recommended Reading" section at the bottom of threads.

When replying to a thread that you reached through the search bar or the recommended reading, just double check the post is relatively recent. I'd hate to see people ask questions on threads that are relevant to them to find that no-one replies because the original members of the thread are no longer active on the site.

To check when the post was created, go to the original thread comment (or the most recent one and look in the top corner for the date).

If the post is years old, it is likely that the poster is not active anymore or that the post is not relevant to them anymore.

Edit to add: This is not one specific person, I've seen many people do this since the update, and have almost done this myself too. I find the website sometimes pushes really old posts on me.

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
This all come up with the new software they updated. There is a forum where all us moderators get together with the company that runs things and this is a big complaint across the boards. My understanding is they are looking in to it. Also there seems to be some sort of AI / learning aspect to the sites that hopefully this will correct as we use the site more. It seems to me this is more of a new user thing and the more you post the better it gets about what it recommends.

Reactions: aqueilo

·
Super Moderator
6,601 Posts
I have noticed this as well, not a fan of this feature for that reason! It definitely is best to start a new thread or topic rather than reply on something so old, I also suspect most people don't notice because its not distinctive enough from the regular current posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
To be fair, as a new member, the answer to some new posts is to read old posts. And there are pinned posts that...the topic is relevant but the content (vid links etc) are old. Might be worth checking some of the posts?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be fair, as a new member, the answer to some new posts is to read old posts. And there are pinned posts that...the topic is relevant but the content (vid links etc) are old. Might be worth checking some of the posts?
I totally agree, I read old posts all the time too! I just mean that people are replying and asking questions on very old posts, and I would hate to have them not get an answer from the thread starter because the thread is 10 years old, you know?

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
For sure! Reading old posts is a great way to get information, but definitely not a good place to comment or ask questions. When they updated the forum software, they put in features which make less sense on our forum then on some of the other forums that they host. Perhaps in the future they will have a forum specific time-limit for the recommended posts, since what makes sense on a car forum is different than our forum. But for now, we just have to look at dates when we post!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts