Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many know Jules has been getting progressively sicker for about a year now. She has had 2 different vets and many different drugs. She has a aspergillosis infection but to be hones I suspect she is just getting old and wearing out.

She is still perching and can fly short distances but she had her first seizure yesterday and we had to hold her for about 15 minutes before it cleared. Mostly she just sleeps fluffed. I have been down this road before with her mate. It is just sad. Every night I hope she does not make it so I will not be forced to make the hard choice ahead. Still she is a good bird and we love her so will treasure the time we have with her while she is still with us.

Rio is been a little punk. He is young and full of energy and can not understand why she will not play. We are having to lock him away to keep him from harassing her at times. Still he is a comfort to her and she has done us all a favor by sticking around and teaching him so much. Rio gets upset when he can not be with her. Not sure how he will take it when she is gone. They are so smart but still there is so much they do not understand.

I have put them away for the night. Let's hope for the best.

Sorry to be such a downer but there is not many I can discuss this matter with that would understand how much these little guys mean to us.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Ozzie, I’m so sorry you’re going through this. It’s definitely the worst part of having pets. I know it’s hard, but all you can do is try to enjoy the time you still have with her. Best wishes that that time will be happy and peaceful. Take care of yourself.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Its so hard when you can see the deterioration, but you are a wonderful bird parent and Jules is lucky to have you, even as it gets harder. Losing a pet is so difficult. We're here for you.

·
Super Moderator
4,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ozzie, I’m so sorry you’re going through this. It’s definitely the worst part of having pets. I know it’s hard, but all you can do is try to enjoy the time you still have with her. Best wishes that that time will be happy and peaceful. Take care of yourself.
That is the hard part of this. We are a childless couple. Never really understood the desire for them, too busy with careers and travel. Felt the same way about pets. Before Jules and Bo pets were just sort of animals we took care of and had a bit of a affection for. More a hassle than not. I was against getting birds originally because I thought my wife would not take care of them as they needed and the hassle would fall to me. She went to get canaries from an over stressed "bird lady" she knew who insisted we take the parrotlets. So we rescued them. Now they are the best pets we ever had and probably as close to child as are gonna get. It is gonna hurt when she goes to the Rainbow Bridge. Heck I still tear up when I think about Bo being there.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Ozzie, I feel for you! Jules is a part of your family and I certainly know how attached we can get to our kind hearted p'letts. You helped me get through my difficult time with Bogie. ( You know, a couple of months ago, I got a letter from a forum reader about Bogie and how she missed his stories? ). You see, Oz, they never die. They just physically go away, but Jules will always be alive in your heart and mind. I saw Bogie go down hill. He looked at me one morning and I knew I had to do something to help him....and we did. I had the same feeling as you...hoping that maybe he would not make it through the night. But he fought on. We had to make ' that ' decision at the vets and I am glad I did, in his case. He was at ease with Valium at first, then...relief. I am crying now and Vicki just walked in and wanted to know what the heck was going on...I said " Jules " is not doing well at all. Vicki reads this forum and knows who Jules is. She just now said, " Tell Ozzie she will pray for Jules".
Keep up your strength. Make Jules as comfortable as you can. I know what your going through.

David and Vicki:cry::cry:

·
Super Moderator
6,580 Posts
I'm so sorry Ozzie. I know exactly how you feel. Watching Tobie decline was so hard. I prayed for God to let him pass for the same reason. It was a relief but extra difficult coming home one night and finding him gone. It hurt extra too because I was spending every day holding him and hand feeding him and trying to comfort him. I'm not trying to make this about me just that I understand and it is so so hard...

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Ozzie. What can I say? Jules has had such a wonderful, blessed life with you. What a gift for her and for you. These are wild creatures that come into our homes by no choice of their own and to know that Jules experienced so much love and caring and bonded with her human the way that she did is a true testament to the wonderful human being you are and the incredibly special bird Jules is. Love like that never dies. It can’t. Not possible. You have bonded in a way the physical constraints of life in this world could never take away. You are kindred spirits with a beautiful, wild part of nature that will be with you forever. What a gift, Ozzie. I will hold you and Jules in my heart while you navigate this difficult path and pray for peace for both of you. I honestly do not believe Jules is afraid - I think she is accepting of what is to come in a way humans have probably forgotten to be. She knows she is surrounded with love and that she will be cared for in exactly the way it is meant to be - whether her passing happens in her sleep or with your kind, compassionate, caring intervention. I hope you find peace in that. I am with you both.

·
Super Moderator
4,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is done,
Today Jules joins her mate Bo at the Rainbow Bridge. If there is a God we will meet again since I can not see heaven being heaven without my feathered friends.
She is buried next to her mate under a tree in our yard next to the Ohio River
Thanks to all for their kind words.
Now the hard work, making Rio understand that she is gone.

·
Super Moderator
6,580 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss Ozzie. RIP sweet Jules.
It's so sad, after the 5+ years I've been on the forum seeing all my favorite little fids pass on. Loved you Jules ❤

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
😰😰
Vicki and I would like to express to you and your wife ( and Rio ) the great sadness in hearing of the passing of Jules. She is now alongside Bogie and Ricochet and all the others in the place our Creator made specially for pets. Jules was a great trooper and initially helped guide Rio in the ways of the wonderful parrotlet.
I think the forum members loved her very much.

David and Vicki

·
Registered
483 Posts
As many know Jules has been getting progressively sicker for about a year now. She has had 2 different vets and many different drugs. She has a aspergillosis infection but to be hones I suspect she is just getting old and wearing out.

She is still perching and can fly short distances but she had her first seizure yesterday and we had to hold her for about 15 minutes before it cleared. Mostly she just sleeps fluffed. I have been down this road before with her mate. It is just sad. Every night I hope she does not make it so I will not be forced to make the hard choice ahead. Still she is a good bird and we love her so will treasure the time we have with her while she is still with us.

Rio is been a little punk. He is young and full of energy and can not understand why she will not play. We are having to lock him away to keep him from harassing her at times. Still he is a comfort to her and she has done us all a favor by sticking around and teaching him so much. Rio gets upset when he can not be with her. Not sure how he will take it when she is gone. They are so smart but still there is so much they do not understand.

I have put them away for the night. Let's hope for the best.

Sorry to be such a downer but there is not many I can discuss this matter with that would understand how much these little guys mean to us.
I am so very sorry Ozzie I will prey for her.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Jules is going to be missed on this forum. She was such a great bird - I am glad I got to know her. Very sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Ozzie, I have been following this thread and I am so sorry. I don't have my bird yet but I am patiently waiting.
I have had birds and dogs and over the years it never gets any easier when they are slowing down and getting ready for their next journey, we always say they don't live long enough. Bird and dogs- I don't know maybe even cats ( Only had one family cat as a teen.) are extremely sensitive to our emotions. Your little girl knows you care and you are doing your very best to make her comfortable, I am sure she senses your sadness and worry. You will know if and when she needs your help to let her go- humanely unless she leaves in her sleep. It is the hardest thing to do, but most of us in the dog world help them so we won't let them suffer. I am not saying she is at that point , but you will know.
I hope she can make a nice turn around for you and come back to full health.
Prayers for your sweet girl and for your breaking heart.🧡

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
So sorry to hear this Ozzie, she is in a good place now, no suffering and with her best bird bud.

·
Super Moderator
4,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It was time for it to be done. It is just sad that our time had come to an end for the time being. Now it is a blessing we have Rio to help us with our grief and it will be interesting to see how our new adventure continues. Jules was a good bird and her last favor was helping us train Rio to us and our house.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts