Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you here that mentioned Co-Parenting – I just read this article:

Parent-Raised Babies
Parent-raised babies usually do not make good pets but there are exceptions. Sometimes it is possible to allow the parents to feed the babies and remove them several times a day to be handled. However, this is more the exception than the rule and many parrotlet pairs, especially Pacifics, will attack the chicks if they are removed and replaced. This is probably due to the predation factor in the wild so be extremely careful. Green Rumps seem to be more tolerant of this routine; but then again, they are sensitive and may not attack the chicks but may abandon them. If you allow parents to raise their babies, be sure and remove the father when the babies fledge or he may attack or even kill the male offspring. The mother can continue to feed them until they wean and then the babies can be moved to their own cage.
By: Sandee L. Molenda, C.A.S.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I have no idea :confused: – I just found the article interesting and something to watch for.

·
Registered
835 Posts
From other breeders that have co-parented with different species (macaws, greys, amazons, conures) the dad's have their fun time ONCE the babies fledge. They teach them to eat, play, etc. I wonder what the particulars are of these cases where dads kill their male offspring. Perhaps I should e-mail Sandee and ask if she has a thorough report written on this regarding all factors.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Her email is on the parrotletranch web page. When I emailed her looking for a female she responded the following day. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
A friend of mine has a p'let pair wich has had several nestings (is that term english or rubbish?) and she did something she called co parenting.
She let the parents take care of their young at the very beginning but after some time (I think it was 2 or 3 weeks? not sure though) she took out the whole family a couple of times a day to fees all of them. First the kiddo's and then -as a treat- the parents some as well. Whole family happy, the parents never abandoned their young so far and the young where handtame but with the positive part of being raised by their own parents.
She started with this last year and till now, now problems rose.
I've always liked the way she did it (but she IS kind of a parrot-whisperer :p )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts