Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Andrea,
I have a question for you, please. My chicks are now between 1 and 2 weeks old. I have handled them several times, but only when the parents are out of the nest (and cage) because if they see me near there, they run to bite me. Both of my parents are (were) hanfed and tame, but being parents changed them, naturally. I would love to co-parent, but I don't want to risk injury to myself, or the babies. SO my question is, how do I socialize the babies without pulling them?
I am considering letting the parents have 2, and pulling the oldest 2.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I don't have any clue how to socialize them without taking them from the nest. I have trained parrotlets to be friendly pets after being completely parent raised and not handled by people. But it is tricky in the beginning to not compromise their trust by clipping wings, grabbing, etc. You have to avoid that at all costs.

Did you try clicker training with the parents at all? That may get them to cooperate more. I would try that first before pulling chicks to hand feed. The chicks are young enough, you have plenty of time to figure it out still. And as time goes by I am less and less supportive of hand fed parrots for so many reasons, so yes, try to figure out if the clicker training will help.

Wish I had co-parented with mine already so I could speak first hand..sorry!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thank you Andrea. I will start clicker training on the parents, and still try to handle the babies daily. They are doing such a great job, that I don't think I will pull them for handfeeding.
~Angel~

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just hand raised or co parented my love bird pair.. I had to wait for both parents to leave the box, then put a sock in the hole so they had to stay out. I picked up the babies at least once a day. The important part is timing, when they start to open their eyes.. when you hand feed the first person they see is you, but when you co parent they see mom and dad.. and then you in the same time frame.. this is an important step .. you don't want to freak them out by waiting until they can see then all of a sudden start to pick them up.. If they feel lifted out of the box they will be familar with that behaivor.
All mine were very tame and loving with this way. And Mom and Dad were ready to go again,breed ,as soon as they were weaned.. it worked out perfectly.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a pair of parrotlets that are on eggs right now. They are due to hatch starting this weekend and that is my plan. I will start picking the babies up from day one. I dont have the problem with the mom as she is very tame and she lets me pick her out the nest and look at each egg and dont do me anything. I have handfeed baby cockatiels. But I have never been a co-parent. This will be my first time but I have heard from others with other types of birds that say they do will with co-parents. So we will see =)

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have a pair that after much deliberation, I gave a nest box to last week.
Sprout is VERY obviously eggnant. She is still tame to me and will cuddle into my neck. Pippin her hubby, is a bit nippish but, as soon as he's on my shoulder, he's OK. They don't want me to touch their food bowls though or change the papertowling in the cage. It will be interesting to see what happens next. Good luck with you'r co-parenting effort.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Andrea,

I'm a big fan of you and your parrotlets! Saw your video on youtube. Awesome birds!

I was hoping you could help me out. Two of my parrotlets eggs have recently hatched. I was always interested in co-parenting, but I've no clue where to start. My father and I bred parakeets when I was young, but we would just let the parents do all the parenting. Of course, the 'keets were never very tame.

I would very much like to have this clutch unafraid of human hands, but I've also been buying into the theory of co-parenting birds as opposed to fully hand reared ones. I suppose my question is how old should the chicks be before you can pull and baby them? Thanks!

john

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi John, I would wait until they are 2 weeks old.. maybe almost two weeks.. get them used to being held and lifted out of the box.. then make sure when their eyes start to open you are there to be seen so they associate your touch with you.
To me the most critical time is when they start to open the eyes.
Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Old thread, but hopefully some can enlighten me. Is coparenting possible with parents that are not tame ? So there is no risk of them leaving their offspring after i have handled the babies ?

·
Super Moderator
5,129 Posts
While I'm not a breeder, I understand that the risk of coparenting with non-tame parents is that the parents are going to teach their young to be frightened of humans through their behavior. However, parent-raised birds of non-tame parents will also be non-tame. Coparenting is ideal with parents that trust you. I do not know if the parents will reject any babies you handle or not, but they will be teaching them aggression and fear of people.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I will look more in to this over time, they are not directly afraid of me. They have settleded down a bit, still its a new home. I wonder if other breeders of other breeds/parrotls have had good or bad experiences with non tame birds.

·
Administrator
5,235 Posts
Co parenting comes down to individual bird personalities and maternal instincts. Some birds with good bonds will not coparent. Other fairly untame with good maternal instincts have no issue with it. Wish I had a better answer but from being on this board for several years that is the best answer I can come up with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I will look more in to this over time, they are not directly afraid of me. They have settleded down a bit, still its a new home. I wonder if other breeders of other breeds/parrotls have had good or bad experiences with non tame birds.
mine are not tame but fairly comfortable with me around... I'm scared they will reject their babies if I start messing with them. 1st one hatched yesterday.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts