Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to build a pretty large playstand for my birds. I thought it would be pretty cool to make it sort of two tiered and have one of those climbing nets stretching from the lower tier to the upper tier. It's kind of hard to explain, but it looks just great in my head! Anyway, I started googling around and it's an absolute scandal what they charge for those nets, so I started wondering if I could make my own. Sure enough I found a couple of useful websites and I now have a couple of "practice nets" under my belt to get the hang of it while I wait for some Paulie rope to arrive at my door. It's a bit time consuming, but it's incredibly easy and actually pretty enjoyable (at least I think so).

I thought that maybe some of the rest of you would also be interested in this, so here are the links:

First site
Second site

The first site has more pictures of the actual weaving process, but having tried it both ways I STRONGLY suggest that you use the method shown in the second link for actually starting the net. It's much much easier. Oh, the second site also sells the "netting shuttle" tool that's featured in all the photos on both sites. I just used loose string without the tool on my practice nets, but if you wanted to get the tool to make your life easier they're less than $4 from that site. Having one certainly would make the job go faster if you were doing something large. Enjoy!

Jeremy

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Same response as I made in the other thread - be careful with the material you use for the nets. Twine has strong fibers and can trap and injure toes and feet, or can strangle the bird if it gets wrapped around the neck. Sisal or cotton rope would be the best choices, and keep an eye out for loose threads.
Reta

1 - 5 of 5 Posts