Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I finally got my baby P-let about 5-6 days ago, he is banded, DNA tested - male and is a cobalt blue baby. The breeder is awesome and offered to help me with anything throughout Chumley's life. She told me to prepare his fresh chops every am including sprouts which I am growing, small bit of spinach, small bit of egg occasionally, Swiss chard, Napa cabbage, water cress, broccoli, Cilantro and beet greens, corn carrot and he likes about a 1/4 jalapeno everyday, Plus some either cooked brown rice , whole wheat pasta or quinoa. He doesn't want it, but I will continue to offer it to him. The seed is a love bird/ conure mix.:(
I have had a pocket parrot, a grey cheek in the past but this little guy is not really like my grey cheek. He is tiny! will he grow a bit more? He goes nuts in the am and wants out and as soon as I open his cage door he is ducking his head up and down wanting to get to me. All I do is hold out my hand and he comes flying to me and runs up my arm or flies to my shoulder. Now what I don't get is Ill be holding him on my hand or finger and he will start tring to pick at my hand then pinch me. It not enough to to bleed or make a mark but enough to make me say ouch, not nice. So then I noticed him still trying to pinch me so I blow a little puff to his head and it makes him pause- but then he tries it again . At that point I put him back in his cage. I don't know what is making him act this way. I was just talking to him not even trying to pet him.. He is 5 months old. Is he testing? Is he ready to molt? Any ideas on what he is going through and how I should handle him is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Lisa
Bird Beak Azure Blue Parrot
Bird Eye Leg Beak Human body
Bird Beak Parrot Feather Pet supply

·
Super Moderator
4,781 Posts
Love the pics. He is a cutie. As for the picking and pinching. To a degree he is testing but most likely it is because he is still a baby. All baby humans but everything in their mouth, parrots do same with their beaks. Also he still does not understand you are not a bird and that biting hurts you. As a baby he would bite his nest mates feathers to get their attention and preen. You are his new nest mate so he is trying the same. Try gentle beak technique to help him to understand the difference.

Reactions: Lisa Tuttle

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Love the pics. He is a cutie. As for the picking and pinching. To a degree he is testing but most likely it is because he is still a baby. All baby humans but everything in their mouth, parrots do same with their beaks. Also he still does not understand you are not a bird and that biting hurts you. As a baby he would bite his nest mates feathers to get their attention and preen. You are his new nest mate so he is trying the same. Try gentle beak technique to help him to understand the difference.
Thank you Ozzie, that makes perfect sense. I did do a little "nice beak" and that does seem to calm him. I will continue to work with him . Thank you for the excellent advise.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi all. I finally got my baby P-let about 5-6 days ago, he is banded, DNA tested - male and is a cobalt blue baby. The breeder is awesome and offered to help me with anything throughout Chumley's life. She told me to prepare his fresh chops every am including sprouts which I am growing, small bit of spinach, small bit of egg occasionally, Swiss chard, Napa cabbage, water cress, broccoli, Cilantro and beet greens, corn carrot and he likes about a 1/4 jalapeno everyday, Plus some either cooked brown rice , whole wheat pasta or quinoa. He doesn't want it, but I will continue to offer it to him. The seed is a love bird/ conure mix.:(
I have had a pocket parrot, a grey cheek in the past but this little guy is not really like my grey cheek. He is tiny! will he grow a bit more? He goes nuts in the am and wants out and as soon as I open his cage door he is ducking his head up and down wanting to get to me. All I do is hold out my hand and he comes flying to me and runs up my arm or flies to my shoulder. Now what I don't get is Ill be holding him on my hand or finger and he will start tring to pick at my hand then pinch me. It not enough to to bleed or make a mark but enough to make me say ouch, not nice. So then I noticed him still trying to pinch me so I blow a little puff to his head and it makes him pause- but then he tries it again . At that point I put him back in his cage. I don't know what is making him act this way. I was just talking to him not even trying to pet him.. He is 5 months old. Is he testing? Is he ready to molt? Any ideas on what he is going through and how I should handle him is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Lisa View attachment 46840 View attachment 46841 View attachment 46842
He is so beautiful!! Congratulations!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Welcome to the forum, he's lovely.
Sounds like a typical little parrotlet, they do love to have a little nip. We always say "no, gentle beak" and try and distract him by giving him something else to bite.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I love his coloring! No matter what you try to teach a parrotlet, just remember that it takes a lot of attention, persistency and repetition, plus patience! I do know that once your p'lett learns something, he/she never forgets it. You need to find their " Hot Button " ( what treats or action you give or do for them that gets their attention). If your bird loves for you to hand feed him hemp seeds, then use hemp seeds as a reward or motivator to do/learn things.

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts