·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Parrotlet-ites!
Chumley
Hatch date is 7/2021
has always been a sweet bird until he finished his molt.o_O
Finished his molt a couple months ago and started to get territorial with his cage. If I opened it he would open his beak at me but fly to my shoulder or step up on my finger.
It has accelerated to charging me, beak opened- yet he willingly wants head scratches and pets through the bars of his cage.
I took him to a hotel with me a couple weeks ago in his little travel cage and brought a new cage that was smaller for our vacation. He loved it and would love to come out and get pets and be very sweet, no aggression.
He still beats up his toys and chatters but mild aggression and learned to let him have his tantrum before offering him an outing in the house.
Two days ago I opened his cage to put some fresh pear in his veggie and fresh fruit bowl and he puffed up , chattered while he rushed the door. He flew at me , grabbed hold of my sleeve and ran up to my arm then bit me on the neck! No blood. but yesterday he tried to bite my hand so I made a fist so he couldn't latch on. Well he did on the bottom of my fist and drew a dot of blood. Then he clams down and I try a little later to calm him and he gets very sweet and accepts head scratchs and bows his head for more. I don't know what to do to desensitize him from all his cages, I have to start first thing in the am to clean his cages. He willingly goes in but the minute I go to close the cage door-on any of the cages he tries to get me. I guess the little buzzard is saying , Get out! Yes I do love my Chum but boy I just wand him to be a nice bird.
What can I do??

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Well, it looks like Chumley is going through the " Terrible Twos " that almost all p'letts go through. He had a hormonal outbreak brought on by a hard molt. The terrible twos may eventually go away, so try to bear with it. If he gets out of line, put him in " Time Out " in his cage . You could tell him, " No no, Chumley! " as you put him in his cage ( use a steady, but not a yelling voice ) .

Many times, the bird will calm down after a bit, but some continue on with the meanies for a very long time. Be stern, but not overwhelming to him. Be careful if you offer your face to him for a kiss. He might latch onto your lip or ear.

Keep us informed!

David ( in memory of Bogie and Ricochet, RIP )

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it looks like Chumley is going through the " Terrible Twos " that almost all p'letts go through. He had a hormonal outbreak brought on by a hard molt. The terrible twos may eventually go away, so try to bear with it. If he gets out of line, put him in " Time Out " in his cage . You could tell him, " No no, Chumley! " as you put him in his cage ( use a steady, but not a yelling voice ) .

Many times, the bird will calm down after a bit, but some continue on with the meanies for a very long time. Be stern, but not overwhelming to him. Be careful if you offer your face to him for a kiss. He might latch onto your lip or ear.

Keep us informed!

David ( in memory of Bogie and Ricochet, RIP )
Do you mean terrible ones? I sure hope he will get over that soon. He can still be a very sweet bird but being around his cages -yikes!
Thank you so much and I’ll give updates on my naughty little buzzard.😆

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
They are terrible for some. Some do not even go through this stage. If Chumley favors a certain toy and will not let you get near that toy, then remove that toy from his sight! This means that he is considering the toy his, " girlfriend " and will temporarily bond with that toy and repulse you, until his hormones calm down. Just be patient and he will hopefully settle down. Offer a lot of his favorite treats. You just will not know when he will act up.

Stay safe and warm.

David

·
Administrator
5,088 Posts
Cage aggression is fairly standard.
Jules was terribly cage aggressive all her life.
We did establish some things that worked for us.
Changing the cage around when she became too aggressive helped.
Making sure she got plenty of sleep. 12+ hours a night is a big deal. Sleepy parrotlet is a grumpy parrotlet.
Also I decorated the outside the cage a bit like inside. Outside perches, toys and coop cups. It makes the line between inside and out less distinctive and less straightforward.
Feed treats only outside the cage and only by your hand.
Even then some ground rules were established with much pain but some compromise.
I insisted and Jules finally understood that my hand could go anywhere in the cage for maintenance purposes. They did not approach her. It was her home and safety but I had to maintain it.
In the morning I would open the cage and she would come out on her own terms. Climb on one of the outside perches then jump over to me.

so far Rio is a different creature with a different puzzle box of problems.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cage aggression is fairly standard.
Jules was terribly cage aggressive all her life.
We did establish some things that worked for us.
Changing the cage around when she became too aggressive helped.
Making sure she got plenty of sleep. 12+ hours a night is a big deal. Sleepy parrotlet is a grumpy parrotlet.
Also I decorated the outside the cage a bit like inside. Outside perches, toys and coop cups. It makes the line between inside and out less distinctive and less straightforward.
Feed treats only outside the cage and only by your hand.
Even then some ground rules were established with much pain but some compromise.
I insisted and Jules finally understood that my hand could go anywhere in the cage for maintenance purposes. They did not approach her. It was her home and safety but I had to maintain it.
In the morning I would open the cage and she would come out on her own terms. Climb on one of the outside perches then jump over to me.

so far Rio is a different creature with a different puzzle box of problems.
Thank you David , this is helpful . I don’t think at this point I can put my hand in the cage at all.
The treats only outside the cage is a good idea and he will stop being aggressive when I hand feed him but in the cage he rushes to the cage door so I can’t even get my hand in until he decides to come out. I will work with him .
Do you think filing his beak was bad? He actually seems to like it , it’s just the part of getting him in a dry wash cloth he doesn’t like. I have done that three times but had Omar’s do it I once.
All your advise is great. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chumley is finally being his old sweet self again! After his hard molt he is looking quite handsome again. About a month ago he started wanting to come out of his cage to visit. We started training again and found he now loves sunflower seeds and other things he previously would not want. He lets me put my hands in his cage with out any fuss and willingly will step up when I offer. He still is a little weird in the am when I get him from his sleep cage. He has his tantrums when ever he sees a blanket or towel getting folded, plastic wrap crinkle or water bottles.
I am desensitizing him to bottles by putting a few empties right next to his cage. One day he came out of his cage in a huff and one by one knocked the bottles off of the table and watched each one fall to the carpet as if to say ," Thats better!"
I have been saving bottle caps to make him a toy, well he would knock those off the table too( maybe he is part kitty?). So I thought each time he knocked a bottle cap off the counter or table I would catch it in a small cup and praise him and treat him with a quarter of a sunflower seed. Now he is not as vocal towards them and happily knocks them into the cup for a small piece of sunflower seed.
What a difference sleep makes and coming out of his hormonal stage!! Thank you for all of you who gave me advise, it all helped make my little monster feel better and be tolerable.

Bird Leg Beak Grey Feather

Light Wood Interior design Floor Flooring
Hand Finger Hood Bird Beak
Shoe Light Product Finger Material property
Bird Parrot Pet supply Beak Feather

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I am happy to hear he is feeling better - and so are you! Kiwi has always gone goofy over plastic bottles and plastic bottle caps, but it is more like excited play. I wish I had thought of catching the caps in a cup and making a game of it. Your photos are adorable and I am sure that game is mentally stimulating for him as well! Another member’s bird used to go crazy for her pill bottles. He loved the rattling of the pills inside - so cute! All of those distractions will also help him through difficult molts. It will take his focus off his discomfort and let him unleash is emotions on an unsuspecting cap rather than your hand. Well, probably not your hands, but even one less bite during those emotionally tumultuous times works for me! Great job working through his with him. He’s one lucky little dude.

Reactions: Anya

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am happy to hear he is feeling better - and so are you! Kiwi has always gone goofy over plastic bottles and plastic bottle caps, but it is more like excited play. I wish I had thought of catching the caps in a cup and making a game of it. Your photos are adorable and I am sure that game is mentally stimulating for him as well! Another member’s bird used to go crazy for her pill bottles. He loved the rattling of the pills inside - so cute! All of those distractions will also help him through difficult molts. It will take his focus off his discomfort and let him unleash is emotions on an unsuspecting cap rather than your hand. Well, probably not your hands, but even one less bite during those emotionally tumultuous times works for me! Great job working through his with him. He’s one lucky little dude.
Thank you and yes life is much better with a friendly parrotlet!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts