Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I will hopefully getting my parrotlet on Sunday and am starting to get read to prepare chop! I know that there are already a whole bunch of recipes out there, but, as I’m hoping to just make small batches to feed fresh, I would love some general guidelines on what and how much of it should be included in a chop mix.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
How exciting that you are getting your baby on Sunday! That is wonderful! :) Looking forward to seeing some baby pics! Good for you for wanting to provide a good diet for your baby – it is smart to start them off on veggies right away! (y)

My last bird Cleopatra would not eat chop, but when I first got Pugsley last month, I decided to start him off with a simple chop. It only had four ingredients – kale, corn, broccoli, and carrots. After that, I gradually started adding other veggies. I like to provide a fresh chop, so I only make enough to last four days in the refrigerator. I do not measure anything. With it being a smaller batch, I just kind of eye it to see how much I need. First, I chop the green leafy veggies, and put them in a bowl. Next, I chop a smaller amount of all the other veggies, (the reds, yellows, oranges, etc.). You want your chop to be predominantly green veggies. Even if you add grains and beans, you still want it mostly green! For my small chop, I have been pretty much using the same green veggies consistently (Pugsley loves them) but have been changing the other veggies each time I make it. That way he won’t get too bored eating the same thing all the time. And with anything like Swiss chard, kale, green leafy carrot tops, romaine lettuce, spinach…I add them before I serve it. Hey, if you come up with any good ideas along the way, please share! I am still kind of new at this myself. I guess my chop is still somewhat simple, but I think I am providing Pugsley with enough nutrients and vitamins. He gets a variety of veggies, but just not all at one time. With this and giving him sprouts, I think it is working fine. So you can start off simple, if you like, and take it from there. It really is up to you! Good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How exciting that you are getting your baby on Sunday! That is wonderful! :) Looking forward to seeing some baby pics! Good for you for wanting to provide a good diet for your baby – it is smart to start them off on veggies right away! (y)

My last bird Cleopatra would not eat chop, but when I first got Pugsley last month, I decided to start him off with a simple chop. It only had four ingredients – kale, corn, broccoli, and carrots. After that, I gradually started adding other veggies. I like to provide a fresh chop, so I only make enough to last four days in the refrigerator. I do not measure anything. With it being a smaller batch, I just kind of eye it to see how much I need. First, I chop the green leafy veggies, and put them in a bowl. Next, I chop a smaller amount of all the other veggies, (the reds, yellows, oranges, etc.). You want your chop to be predominantly green veggies. Even if you add grains and beans, you still want it mostly green! For my small chop, I have been pretty much using the same green veggies consistently (Pugsley loves them) but have been changing the other veggies each time I make it. That way he won’t get too bored eating the same thing all the time. And with anything like Swiss chard, kale, green leafy carrot tops, romaine lettuce, spinach…I add them before I serve it. Hey, if you come up with any good ideas along the way, please share! I am still kind of new at this myself. I guess my chop is still somewhat simple, but I think I am providing Pugsley with enough nutrients and vitamins. He gets a variety of veggies, but just not all at one time. With this and giving him sprouts, I think it is working fine. So you can start off simple, if you like, and take it from there. It really is up to you! Good luck!
Thank you! I am thinking I will do something similar with starting out small before adding a while bunch if other things. I am also looking to feed fresh, so im only trying to make a week’s worth. How much do you think Pugsley eats in a day? Im trying to get the portion size right.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I give chop twice a day - in the morning and in the early evening. And Pugsley gets a piece of broccoli at lunchtime. Every bird is different and will eat different amounts every day. If you want to find out how much chop your bird eats, start by giving them more than they can eat. Weigh it, let them eat it, and when they are done, weigh the leftovers. The difference will tell you how much they are eating. Keep track for about a week or so and it should give you a general idea how much to give them.

I have been keeping Pugsley’s food out for up to 2 hours. Fresh does not spoil as cooked food does. First thing in the morning, my little nutty bird would rather play for an hour than eat. If I took his chop away after an hour, he would never get any! I have been doing this for weeks and Pugsley is fine It comes out the fridge, nice and cold so I have not had any problem. If my house got really hot I would take that into account and not leave it out as long.

·
Super Moderator
3,706 Posts
I am so excited for you! Sunday will be a big day! I can’t wait to see photos of the little fella but don’t worry…we know you will be preoccupied and obsessed lol so we will wait patiently for the reveal while you both settle in.

I love that you are going to introduce healthy new foods early on, and even more so, the efforts you are making before you even get him. It’s very heartwarming to know the little fluffball will be so loved and cared for.

Kiwi never really took to chop and I figured out that she is like my brother - she likes to eat her food individually. My brother to this day eats his veggies first, rice or potatoes second and meat last. I don’t think he’s as obsessed with his food not touching each other as he was as a kid, but he doesn’t smoosh it all together like I do. Neither does Kiwi. So if your little guy doesn’t take to the chop, don’t despair! Just try giving him his veggies individually - and if that isn’t working - shake up how you give it to him - raw/cooked, chopped/whole/mashed…they can be funny little eaters. I sincerely hope he loves the chop like Pugsley does. I always thought it was such a cool, nutritious option.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone! I do think I will try to leave the chop out a maximum of 2 hours, as Anya suggested. Thank you ginziputzi for the advice on presentation of the vegetables! I’m also hoping that my little girl takes to chop, as it seems like a really easy way to get variety. However, if she doesn’t, I am more than happy to do individual pieces of vegetables or fruit. On that note, how much fruit do y’all give to your little ones?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I think it is fine giving your bird fruit twice a week. You just have to be careful to not give them too much sugar. Berries are especially good for them (blackberries, blueberries and raspberries) - they are full of antioxidants. (y)

·
Super Moderator
3,706 Posts
I am not very consistent when it comes to fruit. Kiwi is crazy for berries (not so much blackberries as strawberries and, to a lesser extent, raspberries) but she does love … you guessed it … kiwis. 🦜🥝 She mostly goes for the seeds but she definitely gets some of the pulp too. I would say I have given her fruit up to 4 or 5 times in a week (for example, during strawberry season) but other weeks, none at all. A few times a week sounds reasonable to me. While I would be ok with leaving fresh veggies in the cage for 2 hours max, I wouldn’t leave fruit in there past her devouring time. I just take it out right away after she is finished with it. She makes a much bigger mess with fruit than veggies so I wipe down her cage bars and perches for fruit goo after she has gone to bed. I can’t help but think all that gooey stuff and juice and sugar is a recipe for problems.

·
Administrator
5,316 Posts
To be honest I don’t put fruit or chop in a cage. Too messy, find it best to but it on our kitchen bar and let them eat / fling / throw to their hearts desire. Easier to clean that way. We tend to keep cage food to pellets and Nutriberries and water.

·
Registered
16 Posts
... what and how much of it should be included in a chop mix.

Thank you in advance!
It's probably the same as for other birds, but parrotlets are very conservative on their food habits. Don't expect your new friend to immediately want to try everything. Just be patient.
On the other side, young birds are more flexible, just as young people are.

My parrotlet and budgie enjoy these mixes (it's not the only food I provide to them):

Birds LOVE All Natural Garden Blend https://a.co/d/2atiTrQ

Dr. Harvey's Our Best Parakeet Food, All Natural Daily Food for Budgies and Parakeets https://a.co/d/2tlEpMq

VL Goldenfeast Australian Blend, 3 lb Bag https://a.co/d/gghiXRl

·
Registered
2 Posts
My little guy Cirrus loves cilantro, purple cabbage, any and all peppers, and sugar snap peas. His breeder also suggested including a small piece of Dave's Killer Bread (lots and lots of seeds, whole grain). I leave really early for work, and make him a nice bowl of chop mixed with bread, seed, dried greens, and a pinch of kelp powder in the evening, which he pretty much devours by the next evening. He's super happy with it and I try to change up the ingredients daily to keep it interesting and give him a fruit garnish every couple of days
Bird Parrot Beak Feather Parakeet

I'm curious, I've never fed him beans, potatoes, or meat of any kind... but I saw mentions of all three. What else do you include?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts