Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 1 1/2 yr old Buddy seem to like to chew up Pellets and "save" it in his wings. I don't think he intends to eat it later, it's almost like he is using it to clean himself. Sometimes, he even chews up food while running his feet between his beak. It's like he's anoiting his feet with the food. After about 10 minutes of the food being in his wings, he'll puff up and shake like a dog. Food goes everywhere.

He still eats a good amount of food, so it's not like he does this instead of eating, but it's in addition to his eating.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Our vet doesn't seem to know why he's doing it either. I've never heard of other birds doing this. Why is he such a weirdo?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I know I've heard of this, but only once before. I wish I'd saved the article I had found. Good luck! I'm sure someone here has information for you.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Bitsey Jo bites off some cuttlebone and then rubs her head sideways on her wings. I'm not sure why but she does that when she eats a lttle of it. Every time.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I've read that Lovebirds tuck nesting material into their feathers to carry back to their nest (I'm not sure how they'd fly that way but thats what it said). But I'm pretty sure a Parrotlet breeder would have noticed that if Parrotlets did it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts