Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I haven't been on this forum as much as I would have liked to in the past few weeks, but this is an emergency.
I'm looking for some advice about cat attacks:(. Oliver jumped off my shoulder as soon as I stepped out the door early this evening and was immediately attacked by my neighbor's *#@&$^! cat. We have a policy in our neighborhood that no animals are allowed to run stray, but that doesn't pertain to my neighbors apparently. It happened very quick, and the cat ran away very fast, hopefully with minimal abuse to Oliver, when I reacted. We rushed to the emergency vet where they checked Oliver with a scope to see if there were any puncture wounds. He has two small ones right by his nostrils that the vet said would be okay. He will need to be on antibiotics for 21 days to ensure that there is no infection. They then took him for an x-ray to see what was happening with his hurt wing and found that it was somewhat of a dislocation (similar to if we broke/dislocated our own elbow). The vet put a splint on his wing and also a collar around his neck. Oliver is stopping at nothing to get it off now.

I put a towel on the floor of his cage and flattened his sleepy tent so he could at least sleep on it since he can't fit his head inside because of his collar. He has food, millet, and water down there with him.

I am looking for advice on how to make him comfortable until he is healed, and if anyone else has gone through this in the past, what their experience was.

He seems to be doing well--just trying to get his collar off!
Any advice will be warmly welcomed,
Lindsey & Oliver:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
so sorry to hear this happened -- i would be pretty angry, too. we lost our first p'let to our own cat, unfortunately, so you're incredibly lucky. (we were unable to get her to a vet because there is no emergency vet that takes birdies after 10pm) just wanted to say good luck with him!

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Wait, the cat got inside your house or you were outside with the bird?
I'm confused.

Sorry to hear about this, sounds like the little guy is a real trooper.
Are the neighbors helping with the vet bills?

·
Registered
452 Posts
BeakerLuvsBunsen took the question right out of my mouth---

Do you know whom the cat belongs to? Are you sure the leash law in your area applies to cats-- many states do not make cats abide by it. (They should-- I have a bunch of strays around here I am not real fond of.)

I don't really have any practical advice for Oliver-- maybe keep him warmer? I certainly hope he feels better soon.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
It's not safe to take even clipped birds outside for these very reasons - even if they can't fly, they can leap off our shoulders or hands and get to the ground where there could be a dog or cat ready to pounce.

Glad you got your bird to a vet immediately since a cat scratch or bite is life-threatening for a bird. Sorry he has to be in a collar, and know he must be miserable. Hope he heals up quickly!

·
Registered
424 Posts
... Glad you got your bird to a vet immediately since a cat scratch or bite is life-threatening for a bird.
I was glad, too, to read that you reacted so quickly and took him to a vet. I belong to a few bird forums, and I get really tired of signing in too see someone posting and asking for "advice," when their bird has been in an accident or is exhibiting obvious symptoms of disease. A vet is going to give you the most needed advice in cases like this, and time is of the essence. MOST of us on these forums are not veterinary personnel! But even (good) veterinary personnel are not going to diagnose your animal over the Internet!!

So again, I
commend you for quickly getting your little one to a vet.

Maddie

·
Registered
355 Posts
Poor little guy. I hope he heals well. I know how much you care about Oliver. I'm so glad it wasn't worse.

·
Registered
235 Posts
That's scary. Thankfull you took Oliver for an emergency vet visit. I'd say something to the owner of the cat. In the mean time, Don't go near the door again with Oliver on your shoulder or any where near it.

Wal Mart has pet carpet in the pet section. My superwalmart keeps it between the fish and dog section. It's just got pet carpet on the box. Very inexpensive about 9.00 or so a roll.

I layer all 3 of my babies cages with it because it provides a ultra soft carpet at the bottom of the cage. It is very soft and comfy to walk on. I lay paper towels on top of the carpet for the her potty.

Baby has a tall cage and if she were to slip and not catch herself before she get down to the bottom , I know she has four ultra soft layers of carpet to land on so she want hurt herself. All three of my babies love to walk and lay it their carpet. My tiny finch sleeps on hers with her stuffed elephant.

Having a ultra soft fluffy layer of carpet at the bottom of the cage might help Oliver feel more relaxed. It's so much better than laying a towel down.

Foot toys at the bottom of the cage might be good for Oliver to play with while he's getting better.

Hope Oliver gets better soon.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Lindsey,
How is your bird doing with the collar. Has he accepted it yet?
Mine has a broken leg which was splinted and if he starts chewing at it he will need a collar. Well he is feeling much better but starting to work on the gauze and adhesive I am afraid they will collar him. I hate to do it i think it will set him back. I have another 5 weeks to go.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Hi michiganlet - hope your bird doesn't chew at his splint so he won't need a collar during the healing time! Also hope he heals up fine.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Im so, so sorry to here about baby Oliver! I hope he heals right up and in a hurry too. I must say though that I don't think the owners of that cat are the sole persons to blame though. Its not safe for anyone, even if you think you have the perfectly trained parrot, to walk around outside without them confined safely in some sort of travel cage. The cat was just acting on instinct in the same way a p'let might act on instinct to fly off if startled or curious. It is our job to protect our little friends as much as possible. Not trying to rub salt in the wound or anything I feel terrible for you and Oliver...keep us updated!

·
Registered
355 Posts
How is Oliver doing? I was thinking about him today. I hope his recovery is coming along okay.

·
Registered
636 Posts
sorry to hear about Oliver!!! I hope he has a speedy recovery = ) Sounds like the cat wasnt too damaging which is good - unfortunately it could have been so much worse. You two will be in my thoughts!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great News!!

Great News Everyone!!:eek:
Oliver seems to be healing very well... he's had his little attitude and big personality back for about a week now. Looking back on everything, I am glad I could get him to a vet quickly, but also that I could get a second opinion within a week of his first visit to the original vet. Oliver has had to do a lot of "growing up" in a short amount of time, but he seems to be learning about new things each day even with the hassle of a cast. The antibiotics aren't his favorite thing in the world, but with the possibility of claw contact with the neighbors' cat, it's in his best interest to continue their use until his next vet visit--when he goes to see Dr. M on Aug. 17. Hopefully we will have a good bill of health and will be able to take the cast off. He's been in a MUCH smaller cage for the past couple weeks, so learning the ropes all over again in his larger home should be interesting. Thank you all for your kind thoughts and heart-felt wishes!
Lindsey&Oliver:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts