Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I bought a portable carpet cleaner the other day - BISSELL - Portable Carpet Cleaner - Little Green Plus – for Carpet & Upholstery – with Stain Brush and Self-Cleaning Tool - Home and Automotive use: Amazon.ca: Home & Kitchen, to use sparingly in my car and on stains on my couch and rugs.

It came with carpet cleaner fluid that I don't plan on using because of Monty.

Does anyone have any experience using a carpet cleaner fluid (homemade? maybe vinegar mix, or grapeseed extract?). I looked through some previous thread but could only seem to find stuff about professional cleaning services.

To me it seems like using the machine would be fine, it's really the actual cleaner fluid that is traditionally used with them that is the problem.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
I have seen this topic before. I can't remember who had the solution to your problem, but you are right in staying away from carpet cleaning products. There is a product called Formula 409...stay away from that cleaning product! It is a multi-use cleaner and one day, my Bogie was on a table near our washing machine when I decided to spray a couple of old cleaning rags with 409. As I started to spray, some of it floated over to Bogie and he started to flap his wings in distress. I went over to him and he was breathing rapidly, so I put him in his travel cage and rushed him to our vet. I told him what I did and he put oxygen to Bogie's nose. Bogie's heart rate went way up. The vet took a wet cloth and wiped Bogie's face off, especially around his beak and nostrils. I asked him why he did that and he said some residue from the 409 might have gotten on his beak area.

This made me think.....🤒...What else was I spraying around Bogie? I was surprised at what I sprayed each week! So, I use only cleaners that are non-aerosol and I quit walking into where my wife put on her perfume each morning. I used to have Bogie on my shoulder while Vicki was getting ready to go out. I never put much thought about how careless I was.

I hope you find something safe to use. Let us know.

David and VIcki

·
Registered
849 Posts
I've also been wondering about this lately, but haven't gotten around to looking into it. Vinegar does sound like a promising place to start, I've used it on other things very effectively. When I get a chance to look into it I'll report back, but who knows when that'll be.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts