Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is your parrotlet trained to talk? What does it say?

Our Sam never learned to talk. Not sure why. He did mimic sounds though. He'd imitate laughs, our budgies' chirps, and a squeaky sound we made (it's hard to describe).

What did your parrotlets do?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Skweek is starting to "talk". He says "skweeker". He seems to have a few different vocalization. He chatters to himself, screams when I leave the room and "peeps' when he's cuddling, like a chick. He also has this funny "growl" when he runs up to my head and nips at my temple. Too cute.

BT

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've only had Baby Blue for a short time so, of course, he hasn't started any talking yet. But he makes this reallys strange "clicking" sound when he's on my shoulder. I don't know if he's mad or happy...Laugh.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bruce has learned tons of words in the past year and a half. The funniest is when he hangs upside-down on the bars of his cage. He says:
"who's upside down?
meeeeeee!"
Then laughs hysterically. When I laugh back, he laughs even harder.

He also knows
"who's the baby?"
"bruce is the baby"
He learned to say "mommy mommy mommy mommy" as I was leaving for work. (makes me want to stay home)
"peekaboo"
"baby bruce"
"brucepants" (dont ask) :)
And when he's being noisy he tells himself "shhhhhhh"

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
peekaboo said:
"who's upside down?
meeeeeee!"
Then laughs hysterically. When I laugh back, he laughs even harder.
That's so funny! I'd love to see that. :D I like how he laughs even harder if you laugh. That's cute.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All~

Hi Everyone,
I just posted but it didn't show up I must of done something wrong~
so I'll try to repost what I did before~
New to the group~I just really like the way you have the room set up
very nicely done~
I am a first time owner of a parrotlet he is such a sweetheart~
He's name is "Sir KC (Casey) Kiwi" he was born in May 2006
I got him the first week of August..
he talks up a storm he also dances and does spins when he dances
and he sings as well..
for the longest time he would only talk when no one was in the room
these little guys are known as closet talkers so I've read on line..
then he started to talk only in front of me, now he does it with all the family around..
here is some of what he can say..
~pretty bird~Pretty pretty Birdie~Sexy KC~Good Morning~ night,night~go dodo~kiss,kiss~give me kiss~don't bite me~bite me~no,yes,Thank you~please~mine~do you lovce me?~I love you~play toys~he calls the dog~"[SIZE=-1]Blowing a raspberry; Sticking out tongue" he does and says so much I could go on and on..he is one very smart little guy picks everything up very fast~
Thank you for letting me share with you all~

KarynCandy
[/SIZE]

·
Registered
794 Posts
Welcone Karyn glad to meet you and have you join the forum. I love reading evryones stories feel free to post away I knwo I will be reading them.:)

·
Registered
794 Posts
When Nemo says his first out loud word your gonna be like a Mother when her childs says MaMa( and not Daddy lol).

·
Registered
18 Posts
My bird says about 15 words/phrases. His most common are as follows:

Quito, Quito Sindelar, Martin, Cyndee, Bye Bye (in Czech), Pretty bird, Little bird (in Czech), come (in Czech)

He also makes a very realistic kissy sound and laugh. He also has "conversations" in what sounds like made up English. This usually occurs when you are talking to him in multiple long sentences.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bean will 'squeak' when we are sweeping the floor.
His best sound is his chicken imitation which is very hard to catch on film but I got one in the first few seconds of the following clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SapkiNwWWLk
He will sometimes say 'doo dee doo deee doo' when I bounce him on my finger but that is rare and only witnessed by my husband twice so at least he believes me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey, I got Bean to squeak!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L00VfCjEc9E

I wish I could hear all the other plets in this group talk.

Has anyone tried to upload recordings of their birds?
I recently found this site that might have the answer. If you have a recording of your birds talking you can upload files to share for free.

http://www.wikiupload.com/

Go here to download Bean squeaking:
http://tinyurl.com/2sxna9

Oh and if you find a better hosting site, I'd be open to changing. This was just the first I came across. It seem a little clunky.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Paulie is 18 months and has been talking for quite awhile. Some days he just never shuts up
He says: It's time...nite nite
Peeky boo (and we play peeky boo a couple of times a week)
I see you
What did you do? (he hears that alot);)
stinky boy
kiss, kiss, kiss (and so on)
I gonna get you
Get your tummy
Drinkie (when he gets his fresh water)
Hi stinky...what cha doin'
And just once I heard him say"I gonna get you fuzzy little butt"
He has a tiny voice but what he says is very plain. And we laugh at him every day...he comes up with some doozys

·
Registered
31 Posts
Karyn

How old was he when he actually began talking? How did you get him to say so many different things? How did you get him to dance/sing/spin? I have only had Oliver for a couple months and need all the help I can get in order to teach him to talk and do tricks.

Of course, you just may have an unusually smart/talented bird.

Paula

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I have an 8 month old male that started saying 'Hello' and some other longer saying, but I couldn't make it out - this was the other weekend but he hasn't said a word since !! :(

·
Registered
536 Posts
I haven't heard of any females that talk but Im' guessing they have the ability. Like most other parrots, I guess the males do most of the talking. Talking, talking, talking to them is the key....they repeat what they hear.
And they love "happy". Be animated, like you are talking to a small child...they love that!

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'm sure B'jo wishes I would shut up sometimes...8 years and she just mumbles. But that blasted bell,jingle jingle jinglejingle...LOL I'm coming Jo I'm coming....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a two and a half year old male parrotlet (Petri) that I've had for about eight months now. He started talking a couple of months ago and now he just won't stop chattering!

He says:
Turn around
He's a good bird
That's a pretty bird
He's such a good bird
He's a pretty Petri

Sooooo, yeah. He seems to be quite stuck on himself ;-).

·
Registered
794 Posts
See there Art is right ...the boys talk and the girls are quiet. Welcome to the site ,is Petri's last name dish? LOL welcome

1 - 20 of 39 Posts