Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in doubt...
Coming weekend I have to leave for about 30 hours, and because my hubby has left then for Sweden for a couple of weeks, Bibi will be on her own all that time.
I feel sorry for her, but my son and I will be flying, so she really can't come with us.
Should I arrange a place for her to stay? Actually I think that moving her to someplace else, would stress her more than staying at home on her own with a lot of food and water. Still I hate to leave her on her own.
Any tips/suggestions? What do you think I should do, or am I making a fuss about nothing?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
i agree that moving her for a 30 hour absence is not good. If there is noone that can visit with her then put your radio and lights on a timer and set the radio either to talk or classical music. She should be fine.

Oh, make sure she has enough food and water ;) .

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I agree the stress of the unfamiliar move will be way worse than the solitude, My friend told me she would feed Little Bitsey Jo over Christmas and she didn't( remember this was suppose to be my friend). Luckily I don't trust anyone with her but me so I left tons of food and water and I covered her cage half way so she would be cozy. I worried and worried but my x-husband called and asked if he could go and give my dogs a hamburger for Christmas( divorced but friends) and he looked in on her. He's not a bird person but thankfully he would never neglect an animal. She was fine but I will never let that happen again. I'm finding me a person we can visit or who will visit here for this year. I guess when you take a bird in your care we all have to plan for their care in the event we have to leave them...this is for everyone and something we should all consider now to be safe.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Some birds adjust fine going to new places. Our birds could care less, but then again we constantly make them move about - from home to shop, to visit friends and relatives. I like to keep them well adjusted, just in case.

I think the bird should be okay, but I worry. We have our birds checked morning and evening when we go away..which would be three visits if I were gone 30 hours.

If caged, what if the food all spills below the grate. If using only a water dish, imagine how much bacteria will grow in that time. Or if the food gets wet and spoils. What if the bird gets caught in a toy....

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
For that period of time I would leave my birds at home. I understand there is always the potential of some mishap – but that could happen while I am at work or out at the movies etc – IMO you can take precautions but you can't over worry about it. But for a bird alone you definitely need a radio or a TV on a timer.

To Memmy’s point – even if you have someone come in to change out water etc, I would still put a lot of different food dishes and water dishes [just in case]

I use water cups and a water tube and a water bottle with my birds. I like them to know how to use all the different types. It really helps when you go away. As I like to only keep the bottles and tubes available to them when I leave and I always use multiple [again, just in case] – I know the controversy on bottles and tubes gathering bacteria etc but if you as a conscientious bird owner you clean them regularly as you would a water cup.

On a side note: Parrotlets actually travel very well. My Male when I go to my brothers home for holidays or weekends eats, plays and chirps while in the car. But for other times when he couldn’t come is one reason I wanted a second Parrotlet – for company –

With my current birds I haven’t had to leave them yet but I now plan on leaving them even for longer periods as they have each other for company and I can have someone come in and check on them.

In the past I’ve checked out the bird boarding facilities and for me [this is just my personal preference] I couldn’t leave my birds there – to me putting my birds in a building with tons of others is very risky, health wise and stress wise.

·
Registered
37 Posts
On a side note: Parrotlets actually travel very well. My Male when I go to my brothers home for holidays or weekends eats, plays and chirps while in the car.

We have a 5th wheel trailer that we RV in for about 10 days, three or more times a year. Could I take a parrotlet with me, or would that be too stressful?

·
Registered
835 Posts
They do travel very well!!! I boast that about our parrotlets. They are small so it is easy for us and they seem to really enjoy it! It would depend on the individual parrotlet, but they can easily acclimate to it no problem! You should definitely consider taking him/her with you.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Hi Linda Lee - That’s difficult to answer because I don’t know your particular bird. You would really be the best judge of that.

For me – Yes, I would take my birds in an RV because I know how my male travels – he’s used to it and it doesn’t bother him in the least – and I believe my young female would be fine because she looks to him.

Of course I would be very particular where I would place their cage – to avoid drafts and the like and when traveling you need to remove extra toys etc that rattle or swing to much when the vehicle is in motion.

Take him for a ride in the car around town just to see how he reacts - and maybe take him a few more times before the trip to get him use to the movement etc :)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I don't know why, but my first thought was that Sally needs one of those for chipper! Even if she doesn't travel ;)

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
B Jo travels fabulous but at Christmas we flew to Maryland. Jo loves a car ride, I take her in a little cage and away we go. I promise if I had a tiny bird cage necklace she would go with me everywhere BUT she is afraid of other people, and wants only me.( again I think it is her history). Sweet little things they want to be with us.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for thinking along with me.
If we would travel by car, the descision would be easy => she would come along (in about three weeks we'll have a familyweekend someplace else, and she will defenitly join us there) But it will be a bit of a problem to take her with us by airplane...
I will ask a friend of mine to check in on her, I think that would be best. Moving her over to this friends place... she has a cat and that doesn't feel too good.
I think Bibi would stand big changes best if she had her 'own' people around her so I will leave her with lots of food and water and a radio on a timer.
Again: thanks for thinkin' along :)

·
Registered
794 Posts
Marjet that is exactly why Bitsey Jo did not stay with my friend, her cat jumped on Jo's cage even though my friend kept saying that he wouldn't so at the VERY last minute the plan changed for Jo to stay home with her checking her but she didn't check. I was so worried but thank goodness it worked out.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We'll, I'm back home again and Bibi is happy to see me, and has started eating like she ha'dn't a single pellet of little seed in her cage! (I've noticed before that she prefers eating in company :rolleyes: )
And although she doesn't look like she's a poor neglected bird, I'm happy to see her again too :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts