Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My parrotlet picked at his flight feathers, can barely fly now

My parrotlet has been fully flighted inside the house for 2 years. He LOVED to fly, but he has escaped the house twice. I didn't want him to escape again, so I clipped his wings so he could still fly a bit, just not as well. He has always been a feather picker on his shoulders, back, and chest/breast but never on his flight feathers. After I clipped his wings, he started to work at his tail and flight feathers. Now he can barely fly and it is beginning to be dangerous for him to jump off of things because he hits the ground kind of hard. He has plenty of toys to keep him occupied, but he doesn't use them much. He has also been less interested in baths and in eating fruits and vegetables. I don't know what to do, any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
What kind of toys does he have, does he have ? Shredding toys seem to be the best for pickers. Avi Tec has some natural foods that help with picking for plucking, one is called Avi Calm.. here is the site.. http://www.avitec.com/.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
The problem could be HOW you clipped the flight feathers. Your parrotlet is used to being able to preen/groom and ENTIRE feather (all the way down to the tip) and now half of the feather is missing and that could very well bother/irritate him. You normally see this with African Greys and I have a special kind of clip that I do with mine. I also have a couple of other parrots that require this kind of clip. Each feather has to be clipped just above where the feather barbules begin so that all you have is a small piece of feather shaft left at the top. Essentially, the preenable feather is gone. You have to do each feather individually so I usually have someone help hold while I do the clipping.

I'm not saying that this is the solution to the problem, but it might be and I think it's worth trying.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts