Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to the forum and I don't know how full I'm supposed to make my bird's cage. He's... like 3 years old and I just clipped his wings. Normally I put a couple of toys in there, two food dishes (one for grain one for seed), and a few perches along with his bathing bowl. Everything is spaced out and strategically placed so the toys and perches don't get poop on them. The reason I don't put a ton of toys is because I want to give him room to climb around without feeling suffocated by the toys. I fear that he's getting bored because he continuously screams for my attention and he seems to be more grumpy. May I get some opinions / suggestions? Like should I discard the way I've been setting up his cage? Thank you all so much! I just want what's best for him. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
6,543 Posts
Hi! I know how you feel except I have to refrain from the opposite, that is cramming as many toys in as I can LOL
All my birds are different, so I try to set up their space accordingly. For example, Tobie is a perch potato and won't play a lot, but he likes to fly back and forth so I leave a flight path down the middle of the cage. Lilly lives to chew so she needs a ton of chew toys, but does not care for swings- one if Melody's favorites.
My suggestion if you think he's getting bored is to rotate things out often, move the perches around. . make some foraging opportunities for him with hidden treats.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I have a few toys that are always in Daisy's cage: a swing with a bell at the bottom, some hanging coconut-shell things (for shredding) and a plastic ball (with internal bell) that never leaves the floor of her cage. I try to change up her other toys and will include plastic chain clusters (with a bell) that she loves to beat up on when she's in a mood, a wicker-type cone that I fill with natural (un-dyed) coffee filters (for shredding) and a foraging toy made of ketchup-cups and some plastic bits that hold the cups in position. This last one was a design made by a member here (can't remember who, but it is a great toy!) and is one of Daisy's favorites.

When she starts to become ornery or aggressive it's time to change up her cage and give her something new to look at and figure out!

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
I usually have five or six medium sized toys in their cages. If I find small ones I like then sometimes I add those into the cage too. I usually have two toys in the back of the cage, one toy on each side of the cage, and then one toy hanging in the middle. I don't like to put toys in the front of the cage since thats where I have the food and water. I don't want poop or pieces of toys falling into the food and water like they would if the toys were up front.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
My guy loves to shred, he doesnt play with toys. There is a hanging toy that has beenin his cage from day 1 and I find that while he does not play with it, he does like it. He moves it close to him when he sleeps. I never change that one.

I change out his chewing toys, sometimes nothing gets chewed for weeks then everything or ne toy gets destroyed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi! I know how you feel except I have to refrain from the opposite, that is cramming as many toys in as I can LOL
All my birds are different, so I try to set up their space accordingly. For example, Tobie is a perch potato and won't play a lot, but he likes to fly back and forth so I leave a flight path down the middle of the cage. Lilly lives to chew so she needs a ton of chew toys, but does not care for swings- one if Melody's favorites.
My suggestion if you think he's getting bored is to rotate things out often, move the perches around. . make some foraging opportunities for him with hidden treats.
Yeah, I'm definitely in the "I know there's a bird in there somewhere!" Camp :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have so many toys for Maui and he doesn't play with any of them yet. He's just 3 months old. But he LOVES to shred the paper towel at the bottom of the cage, go figure, really neat toys and he loves the simple things! But no help from me I'm an enabler, more the merrier! Lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for your suggestions! I tried them all out and have been testing for a little under two weeks. He still seems pretty grumpy and uninterested in everything though. I'll read into that and see what I can do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts