Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I plan to get a female for oscar, what is the smallest size I can get? I have a cage that was for my old cockatiel, and here are the measurements:

height:24
width:22
depth:17

the bar spaces (3/4").....are they too wide??? for their head to possibly to get stuck??

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
The 3/4" is too wide unfortunately. For the Parrotlets 1/2" is the largest you should go for safety.
Plus IMO the size would be pushing it for two - My cage is 32x22x34 and I'm still not sure if that is large enough in the long run- but I wouldn't go any smaller for sure.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
The smallest size for a pair of parrotlets is 18L x 30W x 18H as Andrea says.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Pado is right. Good size he told you. Good to get a good size so you don't have to keep getting larger ones. They will thank you for it! The larger the cage, the more larger toys and big fun rope perches can be there. I Make loopy loops with rope perches. Big swings, shaggy swings, boings, coconut and tikit huts,grooming perches, big food cups, etc.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Indeed!
Im trying to convince my wife to let me get it. She doesn't think it's necessary. I said everyone else has a huge one, so should I!
That seems to be working, because when our son's friend(s) has something that he doesn't, my wife says "He needs to have it, if his friends have it". So I say, I need to have a big cage, because my friends have one!! lol

Any ideas to make her let me?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Tell her it will make the baby bird so very happy. If he's not happy he'll pluck all his pretty blue feathers out and then you will have a naked bird running around that can't fly.

I always say, if flattery doesnt work, comparing to the joneses doesn't work, and begging doesnt work.... try the scare tactic ;)

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Tell her the truth - its a necessity - its actually not an option if you add a second bird - and nobody on here can disagree with that. :)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I just put my foot down and say this is what I need. I really get no argument... my partner knows it won't do any good if I've made my mind up. :D

·
Registered
794 Posts
What!!!! it's easy...she gets to buy something and then you do to. One for you and one for me....duh you guys will never figure it out.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
It is necessary, not just for fun. My hubby is always telling ME to buy more things for Chipper, ha! He loves how happy she is, we all just sit and watch her in her cage and on her playgyms etc. It is needed physically and mentally. We all want to do all we need to so there is no plucking for sure. Hard to stop if it starts.

The great toys that big cages hold are wonderful. More room for big bending rope perches too. The personalities really come out on the larger toys. Chipper is on her BIG swing right now, staring outside the window. The cage door is open, but she loves that swing! Pure joy.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Catfish: We haven't had an argument about it. (yet)

Memmey: I see what your saying, but she always buys stuff for our son, not her.

Sally: Great point.
__
Thank you all.
I hope I didnt make it sound like we were having an ultimate fighting match over it. She just doesnt think its need right now. I DO! Ever since I was a kid, I always wanted stuff right then and there.
Lol.
I think she is just saying all this to give me a hard time...:rolleyes::rolleyes:
I havent talked to her about it yet, since yesterday.
Im gonna tell her I ordered it, and see what she says. If she doesnt argue, then I really will order it. If she argues, etc. I will just say it didnt go through or something. For us, the price of the cage is big bucks. We dont have much spending money (well I don't)
We have 3 bank accounts. One we share for bills, etc. And we each have our own. So she really doesnt have a choice to tell me I can't buy it with my money. But shes just looking out for me. Shes RECCOMENDING (im guessing) me to not spend it, for my own good.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
We know you are not actually fighting, ha.:p It is nice when both agree. You do most of the reading about parrots, right? So she just probably doesn't read about cages etc as much, so not in a hurry. I understand that.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts