Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Compared to all of you, I am a POOR PARROTLET PARRENT!:eek::eek:
My bird doesnt have a huge cage, or even a playgym!!!!!
I NEED HELP!! can someone please help me find a cheap play gym, that oscar will enjoy, and a nice sized cage for him (on ebay,etc.). I do not want to spend over 70 dollars total (is that cheap? let me know) should I be willing to spend more??
Sorry if i sound mean, lol...im just mad that im not the best "parent" I can be....help me please!!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Okay I dont' have a nice huge cage as of right now... i am going to upgrade. I have an 18H x 18D x 30L flight cage that is working right now. From what I gather here from many other posts, Ithink a larger cage no matter how big your cage will be better.

http://www.windycityparrot.com/page.../19302242001?gclid=COXK0Ka96IwCFQQRYwodd28i7g

This is the cage I'm ordering here in the next month or 2... it's more than what you are wanting to spend, but I don't think you can find really any "large" cages for that price brand new. Check craigslist, sometimes you can find a really good deal, especially if you live a bigger city.

I built my playstand for less than $20

I used dowel rods and a tray i got from walmart in the arts and crafts department. I used screws to secure the cut dowel rods to the post and the wrapped the entire post with hemp to keep them from chewing on screws. Plus it allows for my p'let to crawl up and down it without any problem. The toys I already had, but you can use the toys from the cage. I used brass hooks from walmart to position the toys. The cups are actually condiment cups that I hot glued to secure them. THe only hard part is cleaning them. I have to scoop everything out and use a cloth to clean and then sanatize it with another cloth...

It takes time, but if you are willing to put the effort into it you can make one cheap. Mine took me one evening to do... about 6 hours. That was because of the hemp....

I wouldn't say you are a bad owner, and no one here is going to say that. Just do what you can in steps and make sure to provide out of the cage time to make sure he stays happy.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

thank you SO much...
I have an idea for your cups....if you can find a way to remove them then you will be able to do this:

make them magnetic.
glue the positive side of the magnet to the top of the pole, and glue the negative side, to the bottom of the bowl ;)
Make sure they are strong enough so that the bird cant tip them over, and also enable you to remove them!!

I will try to make one myself this weekend..THANKS

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wow, great idea!!!
My only problem with bird dishes/cups is that they seem monstrous compared to Kismet! I can't imagine eating out of a bowl that I could climb into.
He manages just fine, though, haha.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don't feel bad, I just asked a question about cages...I guess size does matter. LOL
I think it's just take one step at a time, and as long as we are giving our babies some out of cage attention then they'll be alright for now.
I really love the ide of making your own little gym setup. I think that this is something hubby and I could do together (my hands won't be able to do some of the work).
TY again to all that help people like myself who are new Parrotlet Parents :)

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Bigger is better for sure. Parrots need lots of room, especially Parrotlets. They are active and playful and they are birds afterall. Seems like people sometimes forget that they are not tiny toys, they fly and jump and play. They need lots of great toys, swings, and different kinds of perches. Mental and physical stimulation is crutial. Just as a varied diet and sleep are.

You can get a playgym at Petco etc. I have three or so from pet stores, I make them better like this one, by adding to them. I have a Tinkertoy gym also. We switch playgyms a lot to keep Chipper happy with the "new" toys on each. There are so many great toys, gyms and cages.

Not sure if $70 can buy a cage large enough. My first one was about that, but I upgraded quickly. You save money by not buying two, but now, the first one is in my bathroom. She plays in it sometimes while I take a bath, get ready etc. She loves to be in diff. rooms with diff. toys. I try to stimulate her brain. They can get board and that is never good.

We were all new Parrotlet parents and we all learn and it has been fun for me. I love to learn new things and making Chipper's life wonderful. Her little personality has gotten better and better, the cage changed her also, she was so much happier. I was shocked at the positive change.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I built my playstand for less than $20

I used dowel rods and a tray i got from walmart in the arts and crafts department. I used screws to secure the cut dowel rods to the post and the wrapped the entire post with hemp to keep them from chewing on screws. Plus it allows for my p'let to crawl up and down it without any problem. The toys I already had, but you can use the toys from the cage. I used brass hooks from walmart to position the toys. The cups are actually condiment cups that I hot glued to secure them. THe only hard part is cleaning them. I have to scoop everything out and use a cloth to clean and then sanatize it with another cloth...
so did you get ALL the supplies at wal mart??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts