Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Here are some pictures of the birds I am getting this Saturday, they look a bit scruffy now but hopefully I can get them to look brighter and healthier

And I set up their cage, I still need to put in a cuttlebone and their exercise wheel but you get the idea. Am I missing anything?

yoshi's dad

·
Registered
148 Posts
Congrats on your new additions! Surely with proper care, they will both blossom.

On a cage note, you might want to consider a slinky toy for them. c: Finn loves his, as to the p'lets in the shop. Actually, now that I think about it, Finn likes anything that moves when he jumps on it. :p He'll run through his tent and pull a 'jump and boing' on his slinky.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I bet you can get them healthy and happy again! Here are just a few of Chipper's favorite toys. She loves swings of all sizes, not the tiny ones very much. Loves her rope perches. They twist around her cage in levels. Do you have any perches to go across the cage? She loves her rope knot perch on the outside of the doorway too. I have toys on the outside also.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The size looks great and there seems to be some toys they should interact with.

I only have a couple of suggestions though, maybe a couple more swings and more bells. They seem to love to swing. I just bought this crazy donut from Petsmart that doubles as a swing... it has a lot of leather and pieces of things to chew on and swing on (mine love it). P'lets LOVE bells too. Ive yet to hear of one that hates their bells. Petco/petsmart have lots of bells for cheap that you can add. Gelato's favorite bell toy is a disco ball with a bell hanging from it. Just shop around and add when you see something cool~

I bet you can't wait to get the girls~

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
the girls are going to think they landed in Disney...how wonderful. I'll bet that they make marked improvement with your loving care. I agree on the slinky and a couple different types of swings. I can't wait for a picture with the two in their new home. Saturday can't come soon enough!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks I have 2 swings in there and 3 toys with bells and a boing, I will look for more bell toys when I go shopping this weekend. I don't have them yet, I get them on Sunday, do you think there color looks a bit muted
Yoshi's dad

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Yoshi's dad -- the girls look just a little dull in color but I think that once they get in a lighted area and get proper nutrition (protein, fresh veggies and fruit) and you'll see some beautiful bright feathers surface. If they take to a bath...maybe like one that Sally has attached to Chipper's cage, that will certainly help. However, you will want to get them settled in. I'm just so thrilled that you're getting them soon. They are cuties...what are their names?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Just a bit muted. I agree, with good lighting, fresh foods and good baths, they will brighten right up! Good to have "before" pictures! You will see the difference better that way. Takes time. They will have a new life!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
The cage looks like a great size for them - they'll love the space :cool:

In the second picture - the bird on the left are her feathers just ruffled or does she pluck? - hopefully she is just ruffled in the picture :) - I think the way you have their cage set up now is fine for their homecoming, I wouldn't overdo it with too many toys at first - Yes, P'lets love toys but I'd let them settle in to their new home for a while before adding more and overwhelming them.

With the care you are planning on giving them I'm sure you will have them in tip top shape in no time.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I guess you are right Pado about the toys.... I was thinking baby p'let, not a pair that has been in less then par conditions. :eek:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In the second picture - the bird on the left are her feathers just ruffled or does she pluck? - hopefully she is just ruffled in the picture :) - I think the way you have their cage set up now is fine for their homecoming, I wouldn't overdo it with too many toys at first - Yes, P'lets love toys but I'd let them settle in to their new home for a while before adding more and overwhelming them.
from what I understand there has been some plucking the foster mom says they aren't doing it at her house, there are no bald patches, hopefully with the new enviroment the plucking will completely stop

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Poor Girl - hopefully they will settle in without too much fanfare and get on the right track with the proper care.

Good Luck and keep us posted on how the homecoming goes :)

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
dont you need a grate on the cage bottom to catch old seed
and well.... poops?

my guys tend to explore around down there for dropped food
and having the grate to seperate the paper works well-
I wouldnt want them to eat inky newspaper or poops

1 - 18 of 18 Posts