Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Closing in on getting a bird, but waiting until after I move to make that jump. In the meantime I figured I’d buy everything I need in advance so that when the time comes that I find my bird, I’m 100% ready.

I’m new to birds though. I know basic necessities (bowls, perched, toys), but I want to know what you guys and your parrotlets have a preference for. If you have any great toys, perches, or other in-cage fixtures that get your bird’s seal of approval, I’d appreciate you linking the product/s to me! I’m new to all of this and want the best for my little bird, so all suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Get one of everything is my best advice. For perches - a wood perch, a branch perch, a cement perch, a rope perch. For toys - something they can bash, something they can chew, something small, something big (but not too big), something with a bell, something made of wood, something made of vine, something made of cork, etc.. That's the easiest way to find out what your bird likes before you start investing too much. There will be some things that your bird won't enjoy and you'll end up getting rid of them, but then you can at least narrow down what they DO like. When I got Levi I bought a bunch of big wooden toys. Bad idea - he was terrified of them. I had to throw them all out. I also discovered he LOVES rope perches so I have 3 of them in his cage, along with a lot of branches which he also likes. He's not big on the cement perch that I kept in his cage for over a year so I just took it out. Levi loves toys made of vines and cardboard and soft wood and cork, but doesn't like toys made of plastic or with bells.

#1 thing I can recommend is a binkie: http://www.abirdtoy.com/Snuggle-Buddies-by-Cheep-Thrills-Bird-Toys_p_1100.html

This is without a doubt Levi's favourite thing in his cage. He sleeps next to it every night and it's his "cue" to us that he's ready for night night time.

·
Registered
254 Posts
https://www.mysafebirdstore.com/product.cgi?group=23318&product=23487
I only have these on one of the toys I got, but I'd like to buy some for diy toy parts and foraging.
The paper towel snuggle toy seems to be a hit. You just fold a paper towel in half, cut strips starting from the open end and a few cm away from the other end, and roll it up to make a snuggle toy.

http://www.kingscages.com/SearchResults.aspx?CategoryID=Perches%20-%20Borneo,%20Java,%20Dragonwood,%20Manzanita&SubCatID=Manzanita%20Branches%20and%20Perches
These kind of natural wood perches are nice. The size you get will vary on the size on the cage, but the multi branch perches are good for foot health.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/bird/waterers-and-feeders-for-birds/you-and-me-stainless-steel-coop-cup-with-clamp
I like these food cups, although you will have to put your hand in and out of the cage.

Ari does like her rope boing, and I know that you can keep it in the cage as long as you check for loose threads, but she likes to chew on rope. I've seen them made of sisal rope, and that might be safer? I'm not sure tbh.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Ari does like her rope boing, and I know that you can keep it in the cage as long as you check for loose threads, but she likes to chew on rope. I've seen them made of sisal rope, and that might be safer? I'm not sure tbh.
Good point about loose threads. Luckily Levi isn't much of a rope chewer. One of his ropes is looking like it might start to fray where he likes to sit and will need to be replaced at some point. He loves to sit on those perches though and run around his cage on them!

·
Super Moderator
6,627 Posts
I like stainless steel or ceramic bowls instead of plastic because they are cleaner.

Favorite toys in my house are things with bells, grass toys or mats, rope perches, boings, natural branch perches, slinkys, yucca kabob, mineral blocks and cuttlebone, stuff with beads.

You will want to check toys often to make sure there are no strings that they can get caught on or tangled in, also avoid rings that are small enough to get a head stuck in, and fleece is bad if they chew on it so that depends on the bird. One of mine chews it so she can not have any fleece tents or toys. Do not give female birds coconut huts or cozy huts that mimic a nest. Also DO NOT use pummice or sand perches, they are not safe to chew on. Cement perches are safe if you want something to help with the toenails, parrotlets are actually really good at keeping their nails groomed by themselves.

:D

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Paper toys by Planet Pleasures are a big hit with my two. I buy most of my toys off of www.drsfosterandsmith.com They also sell some great wood, mineral, and calcium perches. Milo and Luka really enjoy calcium and mineral perches.

I recently got some really fun and cute toys from Things for Wings. They’re in Canada, but the shipping was so worth it. Milo and Luka love them. They’re all natural, no plastic. So they can chew away without you worrying about them. The toys have a lot of variety to keep their beaks busy. www.thingsforwings.ca/Things-for-Wings-Toys_c_352.html

·
Super Moderator
4,781 Posts
Don’t forget to place perches and stuff on the cage’s outside.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.