Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
If you get another bird your gonna notice a change in Nemo, he is so bonded to you...are you sure you want to do that? He yells when you leave him in the cage now.....LOL

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yes, a second bird changes the relationship. And P'lets can be agressive to other birds, especially ones near their size.
Budgies are not real noisey as a rule, but they can be. They talk really well when they learn.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Budgies are adorable - I can't blame you for falling for them :) - I have a soft spot for them also :p

In the past I've had the English and the Normal or 'American Parakeet' as they are more commonly called in the states [the American is the closest to the wild Australian variety]. My favorite is the English Budgerigar. The English are more gentlemen like and a bit sluggish and less vocal compared to the American.

I would put the Budgie around the same level as the Parrotlet 'noise' wise.

I think the Parrotlet contact call might be a bit louder but the Budgies are constantly vocal - they rarely are not chatting or making some kind of vocalization. Even when they are out of their cages they love to hear themselves - whereas my Parrotlet is quiet at times in his cage and almost always quiet when he is out of his cage. Although the Parrotlet on the whole, is much more of a handful :D

You could go to http://talkbudgies.com/ for more info - its Dave's site also.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Budgies can chatter constantly. The one I had years ago was quiet, but most of them are louder. My Chipper is SOOO QUIET.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My budgie I had before was quiet loud. Every morning he would sit at the window on his perch and just sing... he loved to talk to all the birds outside. He'd always be chittering away or something. I'd probably put them at around the same noise level as a parrotlet... cause boy can Kai scream! lol
I think it was the way my budgie was raised, but he certaintly wasn't as friendly or as curious as Kai.
They are cute though :)

To be honest, before I heard of parrotlets, I was going to buy two budgies instead. But i'm really glad I have Kai - it is certaintly a different experience than having a budgie.

http://www.dropfiles.net/filez/2226/DSC04486.JPG
http://www.dropfiles.net/filez/2226/DSC04040.JPG

Here are some pics of him, if interested. His name was Nikko :)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I actually prefer my budgies to be noisy.... it's something to listen too, especially when they are singing. The only time I really dislike their noise is if they are mad about somthing and they do this horrible noise, and even that isn't bad.

Every time I hear about people saying how noisy their parrotlets are, I just bust out laughing. I guess since I started with the budgies, then got a quaker, and finally the parrotlet... i've gotten used to the noise. The budgies chit chat a lot, but my quaker likes to flock call in the morn and will sing to himself or practice his words through out the day.... so compared to the other 3 birds, the parrotlet is super quiet. Nothing like a quaker screech at 7 am to wake you up....

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Kathy,

There is a reason why half of the people on this board think the other half are nuts regarding the noisy vs. quiet issue. Check on who says their parrotlet is quiet vs. who's is noisy. You will find that in most cases parrotlet boys are noisy and parrotlet girls are quiet.

Since I'm nutty enough to have two, I have personal experience. My girl is virtually silent and my boy just won't shut up! :D :D :D

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Quakers can be SO loud. When I go into the room at Petco with two of them I have to put my fingers in my ears. My ears STILL ring!

I am so glad that Chipper is quiet in the morning. I need to sleep with my CFS and I appreciate the quiet!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I'm pretty lame... I don't pick which sex to get. My quaker was a "rescue" kinda but not really. He had been returned to petco multiple times because of his lack of desire to sit on people's shoulder and his loudness.

He hangs out on his stand, eats and plays with his toys... he'll fly to me when he wants too, but I don't pressure him. He is loud, but we are working on that.. he's mostly loud when we wake up, when I get home, or when I've not been able to get him out that day and he wants out.

The breeder picked the bird for me when it came down to Gelato. He actually picked a male because he was the most outgoing of the bunch and the most playful, the other males just didn't seem to care as much, while Gelato just bounced off the walls. He still bounces off the walls, and his favorite nesting/landing spot is on top of my head. . . luckily no birdie poop on my head yet.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Interesting about the girls being quieter than the boys. Wish I had known that. My sweet Bitsy is pretty darned loud part of the time. He fusses every single time a hand goes into his cage - unless you say "want to come play?". I know they are cage territorial, but it's such a noisy fit that he pitches. I love him dearly, but I do wish he was quieter.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Jan,

If Sparky didn't rile her up, I think MeMe would be competely quiet. She does cheep and make other cute sounds when she's hanging out with me but if I was five feet away, I doubt I would hear her.

That said, Sparky knows how to push her buttons and really get her going - if necessary, she can match him note for note!

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
snowy is a very beautiful bird, the the name fits perfect, Rio is pretty darn cute too...thanks for letting us look at your photos...we LOVE photos.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts