Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me from their experience, other than appearance, In what ways are P'lets similar to Budgies, and in what ways are they very different?:rolleyes:
Thanks...Linda

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have found the parrolets to be more active, more affectionate and more interested in their people. They are VERY mischevious and get into everything. Curious, trouble makers and fear nothing. I haven't known any of these characteristics in budgies.

BUT - the only budgies I have known have lived in families who don't particularly try to tame them.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Linda -

Similarities: (1) They are both birds - (2) Both come in various colors :D :rolleyes:

But seriously:

In my opinion they are like apples and oranges -

Compared to the budgies I'm had who were extremely sweet, occasionally shy and somewhat aloof and busy with their own agenda and as Sally said somewhat "noiser" - Parrotlets are intense and in your face. You hear all the time they are more likened to the larger parrots - in particular the Amazon - this is very true.

Parrotlets are extremely sweet and loving but also have a tendency to become over stimulated and excited quickly and can become nippy and/or agitated when they reach that point. And as Andrea said they are true “trouble makers” :eek:

To me a Budgie's bite doesn't hurt - the Parrotlets, OUCH :p

Both are wonderful companions - just different.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Linda -

Similarities: (1) They are both birds - (2) Both come in various colors :D :rolleyes:

But seriously:

In my opinion they are like apples and oranges -

Compared to the budgies I'm had who were extremely sweet, occasionally shy and somewhat aloof and busy with their own agenda and as Sally said somewhat "noiser" - Parrotlets are intense and in your face. You hear all the time they are more likened to the larger parrots - in particular the Amazon - this is very true.

Parrotlets are extremely sweet and loving but also have a tendency to become over stimulated and excited quickly and can become nippy and/or agitated when they reach that point. And as Andrea said they are true “trouble makers” :eek:

To me a Budgie's bite doesn't hurt - the Parrotlets, OUCH :p

Both are wonderful companions - just different.

You're right Pado! Parrotlet bites can hurt. Sam drew blood (small pricks, not gashes) a couple times. :eek: However, this was when he was in a bad mood and we annoyed him a bit too much. :p

Anyway, both birds have their pros and cons. Budgies can be just as affectionate as parrotlets and a much lesser price, but parrotlets tend to train easier. As mentioned earlier, parrotlets have huge personalities and they often get into trouble. They think they're big macaws, so they'll often do things that could get them hurt or in trouble.

They're also very acrobatic birds. Sam would always being doing flips and tricks in his cage. Even in his last days when he was very sick, he'd still climb upside down through his ladder.

We never really had any noise trouble with Sam. He was a fairly quiet bird, except when we'd play "bell" with him. (We'd ring his bell and he'd fight with it.) Most of our budgies, the males mostly, have been noisemakers. We enjoy it though. But as I said, Sam was never really a talker, neither in English or parrotlet-talk. He did mimic noises though.

In my opinion though, parrotlets are very entertaining birds. If I were to only have one bird, I'd go with the parrotlet. As for a group of birds, I've never had more than one parrotlet, so I'd go with budgies.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My experience was slightly erred.
Meaning, I had a budgie that was kind of tame, but not really, and a parrotlet that was very tame.

Differences, many, and many simularities too, in just general "bird".

I find budgies to be a lot noisier, but they also make in my opinion a nicer noise. Mainly because Kai (parrotlet) had his really loud screech.
My parrotlet was very active, he loved to come out and play, while my budgie would rather just find somewhere to perch and chew on things. I agree that parrotlets are much more in your face, while my budgie would rather keep his space.
Kai was a bit of a clutz too, and was willing to try new things, while my budgie seemed more shy and skittish.
Of course, ths entirely counts on their upbringing!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
WOW, Dave, that was the biggest post I've seen you make! Are you considering getting another Parrotlet? If so, contact Andrea.

Now back to the topic at hand: Budgies are sweet but they are not quite parrots in my opinion. Parrotlets give you the full parrot experience in a mini package.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
33 Posts
hi all .
i have both budgie and p'lett.
they get on really well together. i must admit the budgie makes more noise than the p'lett.
all the best steve

·
Registered
366 Posts
WOW, Dave, that was the biggest post I've seen you make! Are you considering getting another Parrotlet? If so, contact Andrea.

Now back to the topic at hand: Budgies are sweet but they are not quite parrots in my opinion. Parrotlets give you the full parrot experience in a mini package.

Regards,

Art S.
Hi Art, no I'm not consider getting any parrotlets (or any other pets) any time soon. We got a puppy a few months ago so we're going to wait a while till we add another one to the family. :p

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I cannot stand a budgie's vocalizations. But I do like that of a parrotlet.
Aweee, thats a bad rap' for the Budgies :( :D

I Love the sound of the Budgerigar - I think 2nd only to the male Canary.
The only drawback for me is they are constant - if only they took longer breaks in between :p

But their warble to me is pleasing to the ear - its more like a song than just screeching - but as the old saying goes, 'too much of a good thing' :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yeah I have to agree, I liked the sounds my budgie made.
It was funny, in between his little chittering and chattering, and singing, i could hear him trying to say words, and he would whistle little tunes i whistled to him. It was cute!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts