Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have another question. I will be bringing home my parrotlet home tomorrow. I have gotten mixed information reguarding when to start taking him out of his cage. I've heard to leave him alone for the first few days, only approaching his cage and talking to him once in a while. Another site said I can start taking him out right away but only for 15 minutes at a time. I would like to start handeling him as soon as possible. He is 11 weeks old now and from what I've read the best time to bond with a parrotlet is between 8 and 12 weeks. He is almost 12 weeks now so I don't want to wait too long. What has been your experience? I want him to get used to me and being handled but I also want him to get acclimated to his new home and not to cause any undue stress. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've had mixed. When i first got my budgie, I didn't play with him much in the beginning - he was a really nervous creature ( I presumed the way the breeder got him from the cage that he was really nervous around humans) and so I just sat outside his cage, talking calmly to him until he started getting a little curious (maybe a day or two later).

With my parrotlet, on the other hand, he was raised by a great breeder who handled him all the time, and let strangers handle him too. He was a little quiet when he first got home, but like 15-20minutes later, he seemed more inquisitive about me, so I took him out to play.

I guess it depends on how fast your bird adjusts. Its a huge shock to have such a sudden change in environment, and introducing a new hand could be very scary.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
How exciting - and Congratulations.

I think the conflicting info might reflect different circumstances as Azale said:

If you bring home a shy or timid bird - it is best to let them settle in for a few days to give them time to adjust to their new surroundings and become more comfortable. If the bird is timid and you stick you hand in the cage and take him out to carry him around he will be freaked out and you could actually hurt your bonding process.

If you are bringing home a newly weaned youngster that is showing signs of wanting to be with you and has no qualms in coming out of the cage and jumps directly onto your hand -then- that is a different story and would be okay to do so.

As Azale stated - sit and talk to the bird when you first bring him home - you will be able to tell right away from the birds reaction to you if it is timid or not.

The best of luck to you -

- Cheers

·
Registered
514 Posts
Good luck!! I agree with the other posts - I think you'll need to assess the situation once you get him home - then perhaps you can post again. I do want to encourage you to make an effort to continue to socialize him. I'd read the importance of doing that, so when Bitsy first came home, I had everyone who came in the house do "step ups" with him. In fact, I still do. The result is that he will go to anyone who approaches him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts