Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I’m in the Durham, NC area and excited to be bringing home a pied cobalt blue baby in a couple of weeks when he’s weaned. I sure would love to see some photos of this mutation if anyone can point me in the right direction. Have not been able to find a single photo via Google search.

I’ve had a number of foster parrots over the years and had two free flighted Amazon’s back when my children were young. Had to rehome them with a friend when my daughter became very allergic to their dander.

I am a certified dog trainer and veteran clicker trainer. Excited to train my little guy and eventually do pet therapy with him. I’ve greatly enjoyed doing dog pet therapy over the decades. Will work up a little bird show for nursing homes is my plan.

Anyway, here’s the little guy in his porcupine state! Will pick a name after I meet him. Or, before if I hear a great one. Any ideas?

·
Registered
374 Posts
My breeder has a cobalt coloured bird and sent me some pics - they are gorgeoussss. Congratulations on the new addition, it is a very exciting time!
Clicked training works so well for these guys, it's how I got Monty to do his tricks. Your parrotlet will be the best behaved boy on the block.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I have a friend who lives in Durham! I have relatives who live in Matthew ( outside of Charlotte). You live in a really nice state! Anyway, you will love you little guy! They do well on cockatiel seed mixes, unless you want him on pellets. Since you have had parrots before, your little parrotlet will eat just about everything a larger parrot would eat. I would cut a bell pepper in half and my p'letts would jump right inside and eat the seeds and some of the green. Keep a daily life journal on your little guy. You would be surprised what you can write about him. When I saw your posted picture, he looked like a Chester to me, or a " Chet ". Keep us posted!

David and Vicki

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
He is an adorable porcupine! I just want to snuggle with him. Names are hard, although I find that Tumi has a thousand nicknames, so it isn't just a single name that he will end up with I'm sure. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
Baby birds are so odd, clumsy, awkward, cute little things. It is amazing they turn into such graceful creatures.

Reactions: TriciaK

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
Birds are pretty unique in that they become cuter as they age, unlike just about every creature out there. I showed some of my students what newly hatched parrotlets look like, and they thought it was UGLY, but that Tumi is the cutest thing ever. I always love that they trip over their own feet at that age. It is a special kind of cute, to be sure. :)

·
Registered
493 Posts
My breeder has a cobalt coloured bird and sent me some pics - they are gorgeoussss. Congratulations on the new addition, it is a very exciting time!
Clicked training works so well for these guys, it's how I got Monty to do his tricks. Your parrotlet will be the best behaved boy on the block.
Clicker training didn’t work for my Plet Willie. He loves spray millet but won’t eat it as a reward when I’m training him, then he runs away and doesn’t want to be trained after a couple times training! I’m trying to get him to sit on my hand, then he starts biting me! I want to see if I can try to hire a bird behaviorist for him.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Clicker training didn’t work for my Plet Willie. He loves spray millet but won’t eat it as a reward when I’m training him, then he runs away and doesn’t want to be trained after a couple times training! I’m trying to get him to sit on my hand, then he starts biting me! I want to see if I can try to hire a bird behaviorist for him.
Interesting! Clicker training was key to teach Monty his tricks he knows. He now imitates me saying "good boy" and the clicker noise then expects a treat lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts