Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the basic diet used for our personal flock and the adoption flock, let me know about any questions or if you'd like additional info. Our diet recommendations do change periodically as our research develops in avian nutrition and health. I will try to keep this thread current.

At Partners for Parrots we believe in a very natural diet. There is not enough, if any, solid research on parrot diet in the wild, thus I don't feel any "perfect" formulated diet could possibly meet the needs of our birds b/c we don't thoroughly know their needs! So we aim to provide different nutrients, supplements and a huge variety. You don't aim for a daily balance necesarrily, but an overall balance.

My percentages are just an approximate guide

Soaked then cooked:
(40%) vegetables
(30%) grains, seeds
(15%) beans
(10%) fruits
(5%) other - nuts, supplements, etc.

Vegetables
Be respectful of seasonal and organic and local AS OFTEN as possible. We usually try for five or more per week, chopped and ready to use each morning. For two little birds just buy the smallest ones possible and eat it yourself too!! Some examples to follow:

Collard
Jalapeno
Mustard
Kale
Dandelion
Cilantro
Carrot tops
Endive
Escarole
Turnip greens
Water cress
Romaine
Bok Choy
Lettuce mix
Broccoli
Cabbage
Brussel sprouts
Zucchini
Chayote squash
Snap peas
Cucumber
Kohlrabi
Green beans
Carrots
Squash
Sweet Potato
Pumpkin
Parsnip
Beets
Jicama
Celery
Corn
Chili pepper
Red pepper
Cauliflower
Potato (limited)
Radish
Tomato
Green pepper
Asparagus

Grains and Seeds
Organic. Currently using the following:
millet
oats
barley
red lentils
quinoa
brown rice
parrot seed mix
sesame seeds
Lots of other choices though, this is just what I have been able to get so far (I buy 25# at a time for our flocks and our customers)

Legumes / Beans
Organic or natural
Currently using a "13 bean soup mix"

Fruits
Again, seasonal, local and organic as often as possible. Just 2-3 in the daily meal.
Papaya
Mango
Cantelope
Apricot
Peach
Oranges
Apples
Banana
Mango
Papaya
Cranberry
Blueberry
Raspberry
Strawberry
Grapes
Cherries (pitted)
Dried fruit (unsulfured)
Lemon
Kiwi
Pineapple
Melons
Pears
Blackberry
Peaches
Passion Fruit

Other: Additions & Supplements
Nuts (no peanuts)
apple cider vinegar
dende oil
flax seed
ground eggshell (washed and baked first)
organic pellets, Harrison's or Totally Organics

We do not utilize animal proteins but acheive protein through feeding the beans/legumes. Dr. Wolf from the avian section of the University of Hanover and a nutrition expert for parrots strongly advises against feeding any animal proteins to parrots. They increase the uric acid and will lead to gout. They do not need it nutritionally and it can harm them.

The hardest part of this is just STARTING the routine. Once you start it's no big deal. And the birds LOVE to be a part of food prep :)

We use the apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle to put a light spray on the morning meal, this has excellent anti-bacterial properties.

If you make a big batch, you can freeze individual portions into ice cube trays to defrost per morning. This is a cool way to do it, prepare a big batch and not have to worry about it for a while. I prefer to make enough for about three, maybe four days. I much prefer to feed fresh over frozen and have not done this ever.

It is ideal to feed a quantity / volume that your bird will actually finish, but any extras are fed to either the outside birds and squirells at the shop or at home to our domestic flock of chickens and geese.

The neat part about the grains and beans and some of the seeds is that I can feed the Partners for Parrots adoptive flock these from our supporting shop, Bonsai Birds :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got a good concept of the diet thing. thanks

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
This is basically the diet that Feeding Feathers, a Yahoo forum of people interested in parrot nutrition, recommends. There are some differences - eggshell, for example, is not considered a good source of Calcium, and commercial eggshells can have some heavy metal content. FF also encourages the feeding of tiny amount of supplements such as organic powdered alfalfa, barley grass or wheat grass, and organic powdered kelp. I think FF has the best diet info out there for parrots at this stage of our knowledge of their nutritional needs.
Reta

1 - 4 of 4 Posts