Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv got a 7wk old who's my first parrotlet so learning lots everyday. Where I live in the summer someone in the area has alot of bonfires the smoke of which always blows into my house if the windows are open, too the point where I can smell it on my kids clothes. Is this going too harm my bird?? Even if every other window and door is open in my house-so a blow through?! Also my frontroom and kitchen are open planned is hot olive oil or a candle burning in the same room going too affect her?? I would obviously not burn a candle if she was out or near her cage and when iv been cooking iv made sure all windows are open and we only use cast iron or stainless steel for frying /cooking unless I'm making my toddler porridge then that will be in a non stick pan... Is that safe?? Too be used for boiling not frying?? Sorry about all the questions but it drives me made looking on Google and besides I don't have enough hours in my day too be scrolling.. Thanks too whoever replys.

·
Super Moderator
6,553 Posts
You definitely want to manage the smoke. It would be best to keep all the windows and doors closed if you have that much smoke moving through your home, for you as well! Why is the fire smoking so much? It sounds excessive. Anyway, I am very cautious about smoke if I burn something in the oven or oil smoking on the stove. When that happens (which does when you cook a lot) we turn on the vent fan, corral the birds into the back of the house and air everything out. I do burn candles occasionally but sparingly. One at a time and because of the scent I don't leave it for an extremely long time, some candles are really overpowering I avoid those. Frying is fine just beware of burning oil. We fry often. Olive oil smokes at a low temperature as I'm sure you know so that's something to watch. Definitely don't fry in non stick but you already specified you won't. Non stick with PTFE PFOA is extremely deadly when it overheats. Moving the birds or air flow and fans will not save them. Watch out for cooking sheets, turkey bags, tinfoil labeled non stick, most air fryers, all deadly. For the porridge to avoid an accident you could get a ceramic non stick instead.

·
Registered
776 Posts
One of the hardest things for me to get rid of when I got Cleopatra was my wonderful smelling Yankee Candles. I used to love to curl up on the couch, with a good book, a nice cup of tea, and the fragrant smell of one of my candles burning. Yankee Candles smell soooo good. Such a wonderful way to relax -- but my Yankee Candle days are over as long as I have Cleopatra. They are too strong and I am not taking any chances with her. Now, I only use beeswax candles which are safe for birds, but I still would never light one anywhere near her in case of any smoke. The candles are always used in another room. Parrotlets have respiratory issues and you have to be very careful with them, so be sure to use extra caution when your are lighting any bonfires. MrsJP3 is right. You do not want any smoke getting into your home.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of the hardest things for me to get rid of when I got Cleopatra was my wonderful smelling Yankee Candles. I used to love to curl up on the couch, with a good book, a nice cup of tea, and the fragrant smell of one of my candles burning. Yankee Candles smell soooo good. Such a wonderful way to relax -- but my Yankee Candle days are over as long as I have Cleopatra. They are too strong and I am not taking any chances with her. Now, I only use beeswax candles which are safe for birds, but I still would never light one anywhere near her in case of any smoke. The candles are always used in another room. Parrotlets have respiratory issues and you have to be very careful with them, so be sure to use extra caution when your are lighting any bonfires. MrsJP3 is right. You do not want any smoke getting into your home.
Hi that's useful too know about the beeswax candles..!! I'm fully with you with the love for candles not that I can just light them willy nilly anyway 3 boys in the house 15 14 and 15 mths!! It's not use lighting bonfires, it's someone else in our area who does. Too be perfectly honest bird or no bird it's drives me nuts especially after cleaning the whole house getting it all fresh and then it stinks because someone lights them in a built up area!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You definitely want to manage the smoke. It would be best to keep all the windows and doors closed if you have that much smoke moving through your home, for you as well! Why is the fire smoking so much? It sounds excessive. Anyway, I am very cautious about smoke if I burn something in the oven or oil smoking on the stove. When that happens (which does when you cook a lot) we turn on the vent fan, corral the birds into the back of the house and air everything out. I do burn candles occasionally but sparingly. One at a time and because of the scent I don't leave it for an extremely long time, some candles are really overpowering I avoid those. Frying is fine just beware of burning oil. We fry often. Olive oil smokes at a low temperature as I'm sure you know so that's something to watch. Definitely don't fry in non stick but you already specified you won't. Non stick with PTFE PFOA is extremely deadly when it overheats. Moving the birds or air flow and fans will not save them. Watch out for cooking sheets, turkey bags, tinfoil labeled non stick, most air fryers, all deadly. For the porridge to avoid an accident you could get a ceramic non stick instead.
Hi Iv no idea why the persons bonfire smokes that much or why they need too do one so often? I'm just going too get rid of the few non stick pans we have an just get stainless steel ones.. Had a thought while reading your reply about oil and olive oil having a low burn what do you think about frying with lard/goose fat or beef dripping?? Because they do of course have a higher burn temp and is a somewhat more natural fat?! Do you get my drift with that thought?? Also I know some people are grossed out with the idea of those things for cooking but your seriously missing out in life if you've not had a roast spud done in any of the above.. Lol

·
Super Moderator
6,553 Posts
Hi Iv no idea why the persons bonfire smokes that much or why they need too do one so often? I'm just going too get rid of the few non stick pans we have an just get stainless steel ones.. Had a thought while reading your reply about oil and olive oil having a low burn what do you think about frying with lard/goose fat or beef dripping?? Because they do of course have a higher burn temp and is a somewhat more natural fat?! Do you get my drift with that thought?? Also I know some people are grossed out with the idea of those things for cooking but your seriously missing out in life if you've not had a roast spud done in any of the above.. Lol
😂 Actually I personally am a vegetarian I was raised that way hahaha But my husband is quite the carnivore and yes he uses natural fats to cook things not to fry but cooks with them you know after he makes a meat dish, he also uses lots of cast iron like you he is adamant it is the best for frying and I agree with him it holds the heat in really well. We use vegetable oil or canola oil for deep frying, grapeseed oil has a very high burning point as well.

I do think that's odd about the fire, usually large amounts of fire come from oxygen starved fires don't they? I mean are they burning stuff like sticks and leaves? I know my dad does burns like that after he thins out the trees and brush on their land... But I'm picturing like sitting around a bonfire there aren't like plumes of smoke. If you're fueling the fire smoke sometimes but not like you're describing.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Whaaat? Three boys that young AND a parrotlet? Boy, you must really have your hands full! lol

If you do not know who is setting the bonfires or when they are going to be lighting them, you could put your bird in one room, with the windows closed (and maybe put a towel at the foot of the door) whenever you have any windows open in the rest of your house. At the first whiff of smoke, close everything up. Too bad you cannot find who is doing it so they could let you know ahead of time.

You made me laugh about cooking with lard and drippings. My mother used lard for roasted potatoes and fish and chips. I am from Glasgow originally, so I know exactly what you are mean! :) I do come from the country that invented Deep Fried Mars bars, after all! lol I do not use lard, but I do use beef drippings from a roast to make Yorkshire Pudding at Christmastime. ;) It is the only time I make it so it is always a treat!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Iv got a 7wk old who's my first parrotlet so learning lots everyday. Where I live in the summer someone in the area has alot of bonfires the smoke of which always blows into my house if the windows are open, too the point where I can smell it on my kids clothes. Is this going too harm my bird?? Even if every other window and door is open in my house-so a blow through?! Also my frontroom and kitchen are open planned is hot olive oil or a candle burning in the same room going too affect her?? I would obviously not burn a candle if she was out or near her cage and when iv been cooking iv made sure all windows are open and we only use cast iron or stainless steel for frying /cooking unless I'm making my toddler porridge then that will be in a non stick pan... Is that safe?? Too be used for boiling not frying?? Sorry about all the questions but it drives me made looking on Google and besides I don't have enough hours in my day too be scrolling.. Thanks too whoever replys.
I can see that you have gotten some great advice from a lot of members here and I will add just one thing I didn't see. We have neighbors who burn their trash and you can sometimes smell it in our home so what I learned from my ex HVAC hubby is that if you have a central unit/heat pump- to put the fan on- on instead of auto and it will filter the air quickly but make sure to have a good quality filter that you make sure to replace every 3 months or so. Also, even when I use hairspray, I go into the furthest bathroom from my birds, close the door and run the bathroom fan for at least 15 minutes after. You can never be too careful with birds and odors, chemicals, smoke and even non stick cooking pots/pans/cookie sheets. Bird owners have to learn to live differently. I had one parrotlet that had smoke get into his lungs after my daughter burned something in the oven and opened the oven door to- air it out- I had to rush my little guy into the vet and have him treated. After that I had to be even more cautious. I am one of the lucky ones that it didn't kill him. He lived many healthy, happy years after that incident, but preventing that from happening is everything.

I'm so happy you are here and please always feel free to ask anything because all of us continue to learn about these amazing little beings.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can see that you have gotten some great advice from a lot of members here and I will add just one thing I didn't see. We have neighbors who burn their trash and you can sometimes smell it in our home so what I learned from my ex HVAC hubby is that if you have a central unit/heat pump- to put the fan on- on instead of auto and it will filter the air quickly but make sure to have a good quality filter that you make sure to replace every 3 months or so. Also, even when I use hairspray, I go into the furthest bathroom from my birds, close the door and run the bathroom fan for at least 15 minutes after. You can never be too careful with birds and odors, chemicals, smoke and even non stick cooking pots/pans/cookie sheets. Bird owners have to learn to live differently. I had one parrotlet that had smoke get into his lungs after my daughter burned something in the oven and opened the oven door to- air it out- I had to rush my little guy into the vet and have him treated. After that I had to be even more cautious. I am one of the lucky ones that it didn't kill him. He lived many healthy, happy years after that incident, but preventing that from happening is everything.

I'm so happy you are here and please always feel free to ask anything because all of us continue to learn about these amazing little beings.
Hi, I'm in England so as a rule we don't have AC units in our homes. I will however just keep my windows closed with a fan on in the summer too hopefully be one step ahead of any future bonfires!! Yes rapidly learning that it's a different way of life.. I am mindful of fumes etc anyway because iv got a toddler in the house but I'm finding it's the little things like having too remind my teenagers too get away from the cage when iv got my hand in there trying too gain her trust..!! She does however seem too have fully settled in.. Has come upto my hand and had a nibble on whatever I'm holding.. So progress is being made albeit slowly. I also found myself somewhat offended when my sister in law had no interest in her.. 😂🙈

·
Registered
137 Posts
Who could not l
Hi, I'm in England so as a rule we don't have AC units in our homes. I will however just keep my windows closed with a fan on in the summer too hopefully be one step ahead of any future bonfires!! Yes rapidly learning that it's a different way of life.. I am mindful of fumes etc anyway because iv got a toddler in the house but I'm finding it's the little things like having too remind my teenagers too get away from the cage when iv got my hand in there trying too gain her trust..!! She does however seem too have fully settled in.. Has come upto my hand and had a nibble on whatever I'm holding.. So progress is being made albeit slowly. I also found myself somewhat offended when my sister in law had no interest in her.. 😂🙈
How could someone not have interest in that sweet little baby;) Honestly I keep learning more about these amazing little parrots and Jinho (current little one) is my 3rd parrotlet. Oh, have you named your little one?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Who could not l

How could someone not have interest in that sweet little baby;) Honestly I keep learning more about these amazing little parrots and Jinho (current little one) is my 3rd parrotlet. Oh, have you named your little one?
Hey.. Yeah too be fair my little girl is way cooler then her two cats.. I actually love cats had 4 of them but birdie (yes that's her real name it actually means little bird and I found it on a vintage name list for girls) is so clever and having her eat a pea out of my fingers or off my hand is so satisfying because it's taken my a full two weeks too have her do that... I feel proud of me and birdie!! But I guess you have too be a parrotlet owner too actually understand it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey.. Yeah too be fair my little girl is way cooler then her two cats.. I actually love cats had 4 of them but birdie (yes that's her real name it actually means little bird and I found it on a vintage name list for girls) is so clever and having her eat a pea out of my fingers or off my hand is so satisfying because it's taken my a full two weeks too have her do that... I feel proud of me and birdie!! But I guess you have too be a parrotlet owner too actually understand it.
You definitely need to be patient with birds, your little one trusts you so your patience has paid off. I have a conure that had been mistreated by the breeder and he always bit and was aggressive and now he's a little cuddle bug. You can't give up on these little ones.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts