Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I’m leaving in two days to go out of town for a week, and won’t be able to take Oliver with me. I’ve arranged to board him with my avian vet, so I feel like he will be in good hands while I’m away, but I’m still a bit anxious since this is the first time I’ve left him. I’m mostly wondering if I should expect any differences in his behavior after he returns? Also, and maybe this sounds silly, but he won’t forget me in one week, will he?

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
No, he will not forget you. He will be very happy to see you when you get back and may even be a little mad over it but you guys should survive just fine.

Reactions: ElphieT

·
Registered
857 Posts
He might be a bit upset when you get back, but he also might just be thrilled to see you. If it helps I was super worried the first time I traveled without Micah, and when I got back it was pretty obvious that it’d been harder on me than him.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Parrots have very good memories so you have nothing to worry about. Have a good time on your trip! :)

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
One thing to remember is that when you leave a parrotlet at a vet or other place. They are just so darn cute. They get gobbs of attention which they thrive on. I suspect most separations are harder on the owner than the bird.

Reactions: ElphieT

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the reassurance! I feel better about leaving him, and hopefully we will both be able to enjoy our time away from home.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
I am soooo glad you are leaving him with a vet! They do a good job of watching over you birdie. So, rest assured, you just have a good 2 days and when you see Oliver after you get back, act like you miss him and let him know it!

David and Vicki

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
I just picked Tumi up from boarding at his avian vet, and he has a great time there. He is physically well taken care of, and emotionally fine as well. He greeted me happily, and is enjoying the scritches he missed over the weekend. The only thing that I am worried about is whether he will have slightly adjusted his bedtime, but that is not a big deal. Avian vets are great places to board parrotlets!

Btw, do you use For Pet's Sake? I see you are in Atlanta, which is where I am. That is where I just picked Tumi up from, and he always has a great time there and gets plenty of love.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just picked Tumi up from boarding at his avian vet, and he has a great time there. He is physically well taken care of, and emotionally fine as well. He greeted me happily, and is enjoying the scritches he missed over the weekend. The only thing that I am worried about is whether he will have slightly adjusted his bedtime, but that is not a big deal. Avian vets are great places to board parrotlets!

Btw, do you use For Pet's Sake? I see you are in Atlanta, which is where I am. That is where I just picked Tumi up from, and he always has a great time there and gets plenty of love.
Yes, I use For Pet’s Sake! I have had a great experience with them as a vet, and I’m glad to hear that they are great for boarding, too! I’m feeling a lot less anxious boarding him!

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
Tumi gives them two thumbs up! I just picked him up from there this morning. He is always happy, and I know he is well taken care of. They keep the little birds upstairs (the large birds are in a basement area, so expect to hear some big birds from the parking area), so they can keep an eye on the little ones all the time. They are used to parrotlets, as Tumi isn't the only one that boards there, so there is nothing that Oliver can do that will challenge them (Tumi is fairly cage aggressive and they have no problems dealing with him). I bring Tumi in his sleeping cage to stay in because it is small enough to fit in the car, but they will provide a cage if you need (mainly the bigger birds need that since their cages don't fit in the car). I also bring Tumi's seed because he is picky, and his cage cover because he is used to being covered at night. There is a spot on the form for any special instructions, so I always ask for them to cover him at night and I tell them that he loves tissues (I also tend to board him with a box of tissues, because he will literally do anything for a tissue). While you won't currently get to see the room they will put him in, it is a nice room with plenty of shelving and Tumi is very happy there. I'm sad that Tumi and Oliver won't get to hang out together, but at least they get to hang out with the same vet techs!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That would’ve been so fun if Tumi and Oliver had overlapped! Thank you for all of the information. I’m planning to bring Oliver’s seed and a few of his favorite toys. I hadn’t thought about a cage cover, but I will bring that too since I cover his cage at home. It sounds like he will get lots of attention there, which is great! Hopefully he’ll come home happy and not too grumpy that I left him.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I picked up Oliver today and he seemed totally fine after being boarded for a week. When we got home, he immediately climbed onto my shoulder and started grinding his beak. He sat there for awhile then came down onto my hand to request scritches. It was a sweet reunion and I feel good about boarding him with the avian vet in the future!

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
Hurray! I'm glad that Oliver likes it as much as Tumi does. The more parrotlets there, the better. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts