Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure you've had this question many times but are blood feathers pin feathers that are forming still? Dodi has one like this picture I drew.

Will it just go away? It's on the top of his head and I'm just concerned about it.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Some of the pinfeathers on your birdie may show a little blood at the bottom of the feather. Some get irritated when rubbed. Unless the blood keeps flowing, I wouldn't worry about it, but keep an eye out on them.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,615 Posts
Yes, every feather started as a "blood" feather. The blood supply is needed for the feather to grow, it flows through the quill part of the feather while the feather is forming and growing. When the feather is finished the blood recedes leaving the hollow part. The "pin" part of the new feather is referring to the new growth that is still covered by the white sheath. It's normal for the feather to poke out the sheath, or remain covered sometimes. The blood part is ready sensitive, it's a concern only if the feather breaks off while still forming because the blood won't stop if a portion of the feather remains. You have to pluck the remaining portion completely and you can NOT use something like a corn starch or a quick stop that won't work.
Occasionally I have accidentally "preened" a feather that looked done and accidentally pulled it 🤦🏻‍♀️ and seen a tiny dot of blood. But if it stops immediately your fine. Just stay away from the ones that obviously still have blood flowing you can recognize them from the dark bluish base. No need to do anything.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, every feather started as a "blood" feather. The blood supply is needed for the feather to grow, it flows through the quill part of the feather while the feather is forming and growing. When the feather is finished the blood recedes leaving the hollow part. The "pin" part of the new feather is referring to the new growth that is still covered by the white sheath. It's normal for the feather to poke out the sheath, or remain covered sometimes. The blood part is ready sensitive, it's a concern only if the feather breaks off while still forming because the blood won't stop if a portion of the feather remains. You have to pluck the remaining portion completely and you can NOT use something like a corn starch or a quick stop that won't work.
Occasionally I have accidentally "preened" a feather that looked done and accidentally pulled it 🤦🏻‍♀️ and seen a tiny dot of blood. But if it stops immediately your fine. Just stay away from the ones that obviously still have blood flowing you can recognize them from the dark bluish base. No need to do anything.
Thank you so much for your advice. What do you suggest I do if he did break one and lots of blood? Go to the vets? Or apply pressure.. just want to be ready for all eventualities :)

·
Super Moderator
6,615 Posts
Thank you so much for your advice. What do you suggest I do if he did break one and lots of blood? Go to the vets? Or apply pressure.. just want to be ready for all eventualities :)
Sorry for the late reply, busy week here. If a blood feather ever did break off, You have to completely pull the feather out but you don't want to leave any of it in there or it will keep bleeding. I've heard a pair of needle nose pliers is best, honestly I think I am too squeamish to do that but I would try if I had to. Nothing else will get the blood to stop You have to pull the feather. One of my birds did break a blood feather once, it was on his wing. It was a big old thing coming in and he was all clumsy and flapped his wing on the floor and broke it. It seems like it was bleeding a lot I was so freaked out, I immediately drove to the vet by the time I got there it had stopped bleeding on its own so I guess that can happen sometimes but I wasn't going to take the chance. They cleaned him up and gave him a little shot for the pain and that was it. That's really my only experience I've ever had with it, I don't think breaking a blood feather is very common at all.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the late reply, busy week here. If a blood feather ever did break off, You have to completely pull the feather out but you don't want to leave any of it in there or it will keep bleeding. I've heard a pair of needle nose pliers is best, honestly I think I am too squeamish to do that but I would try if I had to. Nothing else will get the blood to stop You have to pull the feather. One of my birds did break a blood feather once, it was on his wing. It was a big old thing coming in and he was all clumsy and flapped his wing on the floor and broke it. It seems like it was bleeding a lot I was so freaked out, I immediately drove to the vet by the time I got there it had stopped bleeding on its own so I guess that can happen sometimes but I wasn't going to take the chance. They cleaned him up and gave him a little shot for the pain and that was it. That's really my only experience I've ever had with it, I don't think breaking a blood feather is very common at all.
Thank you :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts