Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Milo pulled this feather out today. He is starting to molt but this doesnt look like any of the feathers that have been falling out. Its really scraggly and looks snapped on the end. At the end of the feather it looks like there is a little blood and perhaps a pus substance. Does this look like a new feather that was coming in and perhaps snapped? There is no blood on his body right now that I can see but he wont let me push all his feathers aside to take a deeper look. Please help!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Have your avian vet check Milo's wing. That looks like a new feather and the shaft broke but it's hard to tell since I can only enlarge the photo just so much. I may try to get a closer look by using one of my graphics programs. The main thing is that there's no blood.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I'm a little concerned about what you refer to as the pus substance. It's pretty hard to see in the photos. Milo may have pulled the feather out because it was bugging him. Do you know a good avian vet in your area? I can recommend a wonderful one in New Jersey. I see you're a Jersey Girl too. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
I agree with the others. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
It's a blood feather definitely. I sometimes see a pus substance at the end of them when I push on the feather, it's normal. But a vet check is a good idea to make sure it all came out. Bring the feather along too so the vet can see it. If you're not seeing any blood on Milo, that's a good thing.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'll bet you birds wings are clipped and he was growing a new primary. Sound about right?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
His wings are clipped and he is starting to molt. He has a few pins coming in so maybe it was underneath and I couldn't see it. Kpenguins... can you private message me and tell me who your vet is? I do have one but just curious as to who you go to in case they are closer for me.

Jinx - when I pushed on the feather more "pus" came out. Is it normal for a blood feather to come out?

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
No, it's not normal for a blood feather to come out. Sometimes it happens if they were caught on something or got damaged like if they flew but landed wrong and the feather came loose....

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually, it happened right after he jumped off the couch onto the floor. He landed on carpet but maybe he landed awkwardly. My vet wasn't open today and I didn't see any blood but I am going to take him tomorrow. Thanks for all of your help

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry, one more question. How can i tell if it was the whole feather that came out or if it broke off the shaft? I am having a hard time extending his wing to examine. I dont want to push him. Is there a way I can tell from the feather itself?

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Usually looks like a bulb at the end if it all came out. The vet should be able to tell if you bring the feather in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts