Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,100 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Is this your first bird? How old is he/she? How is the bonding going? How long have you had him/her?
Sitting and blinking means about the same thing it would mean if a human were doing the same thing. It could be interest, fear, trust, love, boredom, or any combination. It really depends on the relationship between you and the bird and what the bird is communicating with his/her body language and chirps. Right now, Tumi is sitting on my wrist looking at me and his stare signifies contentment. I know this because we have slowly come to a point of trust in our relationship as a whole, and also I know that he is content because he has tucked one foot up, fluffed his feathers, and is grinding his beak, which is the bird version of purring. Hope this helps, and welcome again to the forum! :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you blink at him will he blink back? Once an old man I encountered in a bird store told me that if you blink and they blink back it means the bird is calm and intrested in you. When ever I go in a bird store I play this blinking game with the fids, and with my own fids,

Bonnie

·
Registered
726 Posts
If you blink at him will he blink back? Once an old man I encountered in a bird store told me that if you blink and they blink back it means the bird is calm and intrested in you. When ever I go in a bird store I play this blinking game with the fids, and with my own fids,

Bonnie
That's the same with cats! It's an affectionate and content thing. How odd; I wonder how general it is.

·
Super Moderator
4,742 Posts
I know Jules will get to a place where she is interested in me and mimic my actions. Sometimes she will be sitting on my monitor and start blinking when I do. One day we got into a 5 minute yawning contest where I would yawn then she would then I back and forth. Another time we wiggle necked back and forth for a while. Fun stuff.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Admiration.. my parrotlet Koko stares at my mom and blinks slowly with so much admiration in her eyes... it's cute :)

With me, it means she's about to sleep.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Also so, along with all of the above, like us, blinking moisturizes their eyes, and sometimes they blink a bit more because their eyes are dry.

·
Registered
404 Posts
It could be affectionate and trust ( try blinking back slowly and see if he copies you. It could also be him getting sleepy.

If it's only one eye blinking it may be an irritation and you should go to the vet for eye drops.

Really, love/sleep blinks and look just the same as irritation blinks. The single eye thing gives it away. Hard to catch since you usually only see one eye at a time!

Clever birds masking their illness.

·
Super Moderator
5,100 Posts
My cockatiel keeps blinking on his right side. I don't know what to do. Does anyone know?
Hi and welcome to the forum. For cockatiel-specific questions, you would be best suited to Talk Cockatiels Forum . However, if it seems like something is wrong with your bird's eye, I would contact your avian vet for a checkup. They can and do keep their eyes open separately, so it only being one eye blinking isn't an issue, however if he keeps blinking the same eye then that would potentially be something wrong with the eye, and that is where an avian vet can help you. We have a listing on the forum for any avian vets that members have found and used, or a quick internet search can find you a local listing for an avian vet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts