Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to know if Parrotlets can eat blackberries, raspberries and cooked pasta? I need a good food guide for all the fresh foods they can eat.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Cooked pasta = yes preferably no sauce.

Raspberries and blackberries = well i have never seen anything that says they are toxic to them. I don't think they have much nutritionnal value. As a general rule, the more orange or deep green a veggie is, the richer in nutriens (this is a crude generalistic rule though). I give mine rapsberries or strawberries from time to time, so i can get a kick out of the mess he makes.

Great fresh foods are brocoli, peas, carrots, green beans, and some lettuce. Not iceberg though that's just useless.

The big NO-es are avocado, rubarb and chocolate. These are toxic to most birds.
Also don't give them too much onions (particularly raw) or tomatoes. Mushrooms i heard aren't great either.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have read (somewhere?) that it is preferable to give them whole wheat pasta because white pasta uses bleached flour and that's not the best. I'm not sure if its that big of a deal because I think most people would consider pasta a relatively small part of their bird's diet.

I have been giving mine mixed berries (including raspberries and blackberries) occasionally for a treat since I got her and she's still alive and well. I haven't seen anything that indicates they are unhealthy.

If you search for diet information for parrots in general you will find lots of information online.

·
Registered
880 Posts
My birds actually love pasta, I don't offer it too often just because I think that veggies have more of the nutrients want them to get... But they sure seem to gobble pasta down pretty quick!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I fed Twitter blackberries one time and said I would never do that again. He looked like he had been in a fight! There was blackberry juice everywhere, and I mean everywhere! It stained his beak and feet red, as well as everything in his cage. It sure was a mess to clean up! LOL

Shannon

·
Registered
660 Posts
Darcy LOVES pasta. I always eat whole wheat pasta, so that is what Darcy gets. He also loves popcorn.

Most veggies and fruits are safe for your bird. Don't give up if he doesn't try it at first! It may take your bird a long time before he's up to trying a new food. Also trying serving it different ways. Chopped, vs shredded vs whole etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Oh, I didn't know that about tomatoes. My cherry tomatoes in the garden are getting ripe and I cut one open for Dexter. He gobbled up all the seeds and most of the flesh so I gave him another the next day.
Gee, I hope I haven't done something wrong.

Cooked pasta = yes preferably no sauce.

Raspberries and blackberries = well i have never seen anything that says they are toxic to them. I don't think they have much nutritionnal value. As a general rule, the more orange or deep green a veggie is, the richer in nutriens (this is a crude generalistic rule though). I give mine rapsberries or strawberries from time to time, so i can get a kick out of the mess he makes.

Great fresh foods are brocoli, peas, carrots, green beans, and some lettuce. Not iceberg though that's just useless.

The big NO-es are avocado, rubarb and chocolate. These are toxic to most birds.
Also don't give them too much onions (particularly raw) or tomatoes. Mushrooms i heard aren't great either.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Tomatos are high in citric acid, and just like a person who eats too many, a little birdie can get a kind of acid burn inside their mouth... for a person not a big deal, we can work around it, for a parrotlet who's mouth is much smaller.. they could refuse to eat untill its healed... at least thats my theory. I think they are ok, just not often =D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts