Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Flint has black hairs on both sides of her cere. They look like teeny tiny eye lashes. They've seen to have kept growing. he doesn't noticed them / no bother her. She has the turquoise colored mutation. Is that normal? My other parrotlet Fletch does not have these black hairs. She's a green parrotlet, no color mutation.

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
Tumi doesn't have any (American yellow). However, I found this on the internet. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/11/081110-lizard-hair.html
Apparently birds do have the gene for hair, and maybe as a mutation that is something that went from dormant to active? That is my guess. But it is a random guess. Birds aren't supposed to have hair, only feathers. Maybe they are weird tiny feathers?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
So I noticed recently that Levi also has these little black "hairs" too... ever since he started his first molt. Silly me I just assumed all parrotlets had them!

·
Super Moderator
6,544 Posts
Melody has eyelashes and Jasper has little hairs on his nose too. Ozzie said once they were not hairs but specialized feathers. I don't know but It's cute!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as long as it's nothing to worry about! I thought it was so strange, and of course I thought the worst. (Im over here thinking they're some sort of parasite or beak disease)

PHEW!

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
It sounds like they are tiny feathers. Can you snap a picture?

·
Registered
218 Posts
So they have a little mustache. Nothing wrong with mustaches. Actually, it is probably helpful in keeping dust and other debris out of their nostrils. I certainly wouldn't wax it :)

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
Tumi is a clean-shaven birdie - no mustache for him! I wonder if some mutations have it and others don't?

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Tumi is a clean-shaven birdie - no mustache for him! I wonder if some mutations have it and others don't?
I would imagine they all have it but it's just not visible due to the coloring. Timmy is clean-shaven as well. I'm surprised he takes the time to shave as he's usually a rather lazy boy ;)

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Tumi let me touch his nare during morning scritches, and there are no feathers there.
He must've gotten permanent laser removal without your knowing. ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
I think he willed them gone. No BIG macho bird like him would be caught dead with a puny little mustache! He told his feathers so, and they decided not to mess with the beak. He ended morning scritches by proclaiming his size to the world. :D

·
Super Moderator
6,544 Posts
Jasper has so much mustache hes begining to resemble Tom Selleck....

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hmm, wondering if Marvel and Loki are beginning to grow mustaches yet! I am mostl a fan of the 'fireman mustache'! ;)

Fancy, right? :p

·
Registered
233 Posts
Gotta love phone apps and plenty of time to spare on the way to school ;) Happy to cheer people up!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts