Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever used Bitter Apple on their hands to prevent biting - I am still having no luck getting my little velociraptor from biting me the minute I putmy hand anywhere near her cage - changing food and water and even the paper in the bottom oh her cage is a challenge.
Do the gloves work that they have on Amazon work? I have tried everything if you look back through my questions.
Cindy and Pixie

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Make sure the gloves are thin and not colorful and tough enough to withstand a bite. Always put your hands lower than your bird when you approach Pixie. If Pixie bites, try to not move your hand and tell her , " Use Gentle Beak, Pixie. Gentle beak."

I do not know about Bitter Apple. Try it. It may work, but when they bite, they mean business.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
4,818 Posts
Don’t know about bitter apple. I would be doubtful. They do not taste things like we do and I have no clue how bitter comes across to them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I haven’t used the specific product you’re referring to but I doubt it will work. I got a bitter spray for Harley when he was plucking and I used a really decent amount for a while but he could have cared less. The only thing that bothered him was being wet. Besides that once he air dried he’d just groom away. So my experience is that they can’t really taste it enough for it to matter. I knew that stuff was potent, I could smell it, but he didn’t mind it at all haha.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone ever used Bitter Apple on their hands to prevent biting - I am still having no luck getting my little velociraptor from biting me the minute I putmy hand anywhere near her cage - changing food and water and even the paper in the bottom oh her cage is a challenge.
Do the gloves work that they have on Amazon work? I have tried everything if you look back through my questions.
Cindy and Pixie
Hi there Cindy,

I did review your other questions, so forgive me if this is a repeat of something you've already tried, but I just did another post on target training and this is already in my Copy/Paste: Training Tutorial | Target Training by Flock Talks. I highly recommend this channel, although it sounds like you may already have encountered it in all of your work and research!

At any rate, because biting/aggression is an issue, I'd definitely suggest going back to basics with some simple target training. Given the history with Pixie, it might never solve the issue completely, but working together on target training (of course with tasty tasty treats as a reward!) could definitely help to work on reforming some of that bond and at very least, get you bitten less than you're currently getting bitten.

Best of luck,
Cheryl & Tito

·
Registered
523 Posts
Cindy and Pixie
Look on YouTube. There are quite a bit of videos on there about how to train your bird not to bite. She might be protecting her cage. Good luck to you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts