Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
If he's new I'd say give him time to get used to his new environment. Since he's in a new place he's probably nervous and not sure what's safe and what's not, and will defend himself against anything that appears to be a threat. As for the biting hard, they're able to bite hard. Just look at how disproportional their beak is. :p

So basically, just give him some more time to get used to his new home and he should warm up to you soon, as long as you pay attention to him. :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm not sure if he really understands that. I wouldn't put it like, let him bite you. I'd just say take small steps to gain his trust. Maybe start by trying to hand train him in the cage. Then when he's comfortable doing that, try hand training him out of the cage. He might see the cage as a safety, and when he's removed from it he might feel in danger.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I brought my little guy home yesterday and let him rest and get accustomed to his home the whole day. Today, I brought him out for a short period of time to play. Well, he's biting my hand constantly and he bites hard! I know he may be exploring and don't think he does it to hurt me (at least I hope not!) but ouch, that sharp beak. I say NO firmly and do a little shake with my hand but it doesn't seem to work. I think I could use some tips in this area before this nipping/biting turns into a nasty habit that I can't cut.

You're brand new to him.. so he's probably checking you out like any parrot would.. by putting you in his mouth. Heh. And he's testing you to see how far you'll let him go.

Emmi and I are still working on her biting habits. She's getting a little better now. I tell her no when she bites, but I also take her back to her cage and ignore her for a little while. She -hates- that. So when I come to take her out again she behaves herself.. for awhile. As soon as she bites it's back to the cage. She's getting the idea slowly.. but it takes time.

They'll always nip your finger a bit to climb up into your hand. As long as it's not too hard I don't mind that.

Angel

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with Angel. When Skweek bites HARD, I yell DON'T BITE, and back in the cage he goes. It took a couple weeks, but he knows now. Even if he is sitting on someone elses hand or shoulder, I can yell it and he will usually fluffs up his head feathers and bows down for a neck scratch.
Never underestimate how smart these little birds are, and how diabolicle <sp?> they can be!;)

Love em.

Billy T

·
Registered
10 Posts
I read a book on bird training, and it said that if you yell at them after they bite, they think it is a game. Anything loud and exciting gets their attention. They may even learn to yell after they bite you. Im definitely no expert though, so I could be wrong.

I think ignoring is probably the best bet but if your guy is still a baby he's probably just making sure your hand is stable to walk on! :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
I read a book on bird training, and it said that if you yell at them after they bite, they think it is a game. Anything loud and exciting gets their attention. They may even learn to yell after they bite you. Im definitely no expert though, so I could be wrong.

I think ignoring is probably the best bet but if your guy is still a baby he's probably just making sure your hand is stable to walk on! :)
Yeah, I've heard similar things as well. They like little kids who want attention. Yelling at them might just make things worse. Every bird is different though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I read a book that said to say no frimly then gendly blow in there face. It seamed to work with Cosmo.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've also heard that yelling doesn't usually work, a firm monotone "No" along with a handquake or light blowing in their face seems to work. I've also read that they read facial expressions so some books suggest making a mean face when you tell them no.

·
Registered
37 Posts
biting too

Hi

I have my parrotlet, Petie, about a week now. He seems to be biting me more now than when I first got him home. As others have said, it really hurts. I am not sure why he is doing it more now than before. I have been spending time with him quite a bit and he loves to be out of the cage and sit on my arm or shoulder but if he is on my finger, he can't stop trying to bite me. He also bites when I am taking him out of the cage.

Did I do something wrong to upset him or lose his trust?

Thanks,

·
Registered
12 Posts
kiwi bit like a crazy woman for about the first 3 weeks that I had her. When she bit me I would firmly tell her "NO!" and blow on her. She didnt like that very much. lol. If she was really bad (aka attacking me) she would get a 'time out' which consisted of me wrapping her up in a tea towel for a few minutes and just holding her (which she absolutely hated)(obviously very gently, but just meant that a.) she couldnt bite me and b.) she couldnt fly away from me either). I would follow that by doing some 'step ups' with lots of praise and rewards for the good behaviour, instead of focusing on the bad behaviour. I really only had a problem with the biting for the first 3 weeks, and she hasnt bit me once since then! (have had her for 2.5 months now). Good luck!

jen & kiwi

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bean's brother, Sprout will draw blood. He has always known that he can get away with chomping on soft flesh. I have figured out how to hold him so that he can't get to me. I think he really started biting when I was trying all kinds of products to get him to stop plucking. He hated sour apple spray. OH, I hated it too because if I kissed him, I got a dose of sour apple on my lips that sent me puckering out of the room in horror! I have since given up on getting him to stop plucking. He is a clothing optional bird. I ignore his bites and keep band aides on hand. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
My little guy can be as sweet and gentle as can be one moment, and little devil the next. When he bites I usually scream in pain. I don't have much of a choice. Screaming usually causes him to continue hanging on, so I have to pry his little beak off of my finger. Punishment is always the same. Back to the cage until he calms down.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Don't you think it's funny when people get mad we talk loud, slam doors whatever...they bite, it's all they have, well, the scary open beak little face(ooouuu scary) and then there's the bite. That's pretty potent. Did we think they were never gonna get mad?Can you imagine some of the ignorance some of them have to endure? If they could tell us we probably wouldn't like what we are told. I tell b'Jo all the time " be sweet..please"lol

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I when Chipper used to bite, I would say no, but no other neg. things. I do not shake. I wanted us to be close, I do not want her to fear me. She is so sweet now. Of course, she still nips once in a while, but not often. I like to be positive and it pays off with my little dog and Chipper.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ive really only had Cloud for a week now and I read online that the best way is to distract them. I immediately start doing step ups and when he does it quickly I praise him and tell him what a good boy he is. He seems to be more interested in my voice now then with biting me. It has worked wonders and he doesnt even try to bite and its only been 5 days! I know this is an old thread but I though id add my results to the list.

~Amy~

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I never do anything negative to a bird, dog or pet.

Say no, or I say uh, uh.... You will bond in time and bites will come less often

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi

I have my parrotlet, Petie, about a week now. He seems to be biting me more now than when I first got him home. As others have said, it really hurts. I am not sure why he is doing it more now than before. I have been spending time with him quite a bit and he loves to be out of the cage and sit on my arm or shoulder but if he is on my finger, he can't stop trying to bite me. He also bites when I am taking him out of the cage.

Did I do something wrong to upset him or lose his trust?

Thanks,
Baby bit like crazy when she went through her first molt. Whenever I held her I would watch her very closely and if I would see her getting ready to bite I would lower my hand to knock her off balance and say, "no" followed with step-ups. If she went into a biting frenzy I would do repetitive step-ups. She doesn't bite anymore, but every once in a while she'll try it.

She is very attached to Christine (my girlfriend) and I. She gets really excited whenever we come home. She has been really, really, really good lately! We're so proud of her!!:D

I think they just go through phases, but you have to break the bad doings now before it becomes a regular thing.

Just don't hit him or yell at him. Be firm and let him know that you are in charge, but never hit him or yell. Sometimes when Baby is just being a little butt, I'll hold her in the palm of my hand on her back and say, "be nice." It seems to work too. Sometimes I do it just to kiss her little feet too and she likes it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have to admit, Kai has started to bite again. He was getting really good, but now he bites... and HARD!

Like if I put my hand in his cage to take him out, he'll bite me. It's a habit I am slowly trying to break him out of, unfortunately I am gone for the next week, so his training will have to be on a lapse :(

Since he loves millet so much I decided to reward him with a few mouthfuls everytime he does a good step up.
Is there any reason for this sudden biting? Do you think he is getting over protective over his cage?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts