Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!
So, a month ago, I got Jackson, and for the most part we've solved his attitude problem (turns out he just needed more sleep), and while he's still a bit bitey to me from time to time (when I stick my hand in in the morning to get his dishes and refill them, he'll bite at me if I don't let him smell and touch my hand first, and he gets a bit aggressive outside the cage sometimes), we've been working with Gentle Beak, and he's getting better... with me.

But when my husband is trying to handle him, he refuses to step up, just bites him. He'll fly willingly to sit on my husband's shoulder or head, he'll even sit for a while and let Travis give scritchies to him, but if Travis asks Jackson to step up? Chomp!
I know that he's a bit of a shy bird and he doesn't like strangers (he won't step onto my sister's hand, no matter how hard she tries to show him she's not scary), but I've been making sure that Travis handles him fairly often, so does anyone have any tips for stopping aggression against other people? Because he steps up (usually) just fine for me, and it's a bit frustrating on days where I don't have time to get home and handle him before his bedtime (sometimes I work 12-8 or 9, and his bedtime is 9-9:30), so Travis takes him out for his playtime.

·
Super Moderator
5,096 Posts
There are two ways I know of to work around this. The first is to teach Jackson to step up on a dowel rod - if he is willing to do that, he can be asked to step up for anyone. The second method is the way we dealt with this for my cockatiel. She would only ever step forward onto my hand, even after 17 years (she HATED fingers). But we discovered that she would step backwards blindly onto anyone's hand, even a stranger. Try to see if Jackson is happiest if he can't see the fingers approaching him, since it sounds like his issue might just be that he thinks (like many birds) that fingers are evil monsters out to eat him. :)

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Paco will bite my husband, so if she is "defending the cage" I need to have her step up. Once she is off the cage she will go right to him without biting. Guess us girls just stick together ! LOL

·
Super Moderator
4,893 Posts
You have only had him a month. Of course he has aggression and trust issues. Just spend time with him and don't push it too much. It takes time.
My trick with Jules was to take her favorite treat (walnut) and hide it around, on, under, between my fingers and hands. Eventually she kept getting closer till finally she forages around my hand without fear and aggression. Now most nights before bedtime Jules will come over and give me a playful nip to let me know it is time to play the nut game.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I use gently beak regularly with Huey and it works. That being said hubby does not and Huey just loves to fly over to hubby climbs on his shoulder and attacks him something fierce. If I see this I say gentle beak and he will stop.

Food is something that really works with Huey, he will be nice to anyone who has food.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts