Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
VERY cute kitten~ I just want to squeeze him!

My cats are only used to the quakers being out. My cats are actually afraid of them and leave them alone. The p'lets are much more interesting to them. I don't let them play when the cats are in the room... but if the cats are in the room, I use a squirt bottl to teach them to not go around the cages.

For the most part, they leave the cages alone. They are still very interested in the small birds, but "know" better then to go near them. I don't think you can ever have it 100% safe for a p'let to be out and a cat. The only thing I can say is try the squirt bottle to detour them from being too interested in the bird and just do your best to keep them separated.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
VERY cute kitty :)

I wouldn't risk it either - The Parrotlets are so small and quick that they at any time could incite a Cat's prey response.

My Cat is an old fat guy that has never killed anything in his 14 years - he has absolutely no interest in the birds. I had a Senegal that he had a lot of respect for - and I use to let her out when the cat was in the same room. But my Senegal was slow moving and bigger - In my mind the Parrotlets are a whole different issue.

He pays no attention the to P'lets whatsoever even when sitting right next to their cage and I am 99.9% sure he wouldn't care if they were out flying or not - but still I would not trust them out when he is in the same room - After all he is a cat and still harbors his prey drive (even though I've never seen it :p

·
Registered
351 Posts
We have 3 cats, all are put away in my bedroom when the birds are out. My oldest one couldnt care less about them, but the younger one, she'd be on them in a flash if given the chance. I found it a LOT easier to train a cat to be with birds when its just one cat, but with 3, theres no way i can keep up so i dont take the chance! Be carefull with a young kitten, they find the bird more of a toy than a meal!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts