Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just waning to know of Birdie Bread could be the staple diet of Kiwi's food rather than seed.

Overall, can Birdie bread be his food all the time (since it would be probaly much healthier) and seeds be a treat??

OR should i just stick to Birdie bread being breakfast time and afterward pellets and bird seed the rest of the day?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I’m not sure I’d use Birdie Bread as the staple diet – I use it as an addition to the menu. Although mine do prefer it to their seed :D but I don’t hold back one food over another – IMO the birds just learn to wait for the second course and fixate on that food when they get it :)

I feed buffet style and the birds learn to sample all the food they are offered – They will even eat pellets when offered this way but I will admit they do prefer things over their pellets but this doesn’t stop them for eating a bit of everything.

The only thing I feed separate is the Beak Appetit – they get this in the evening before bed.

This needs to be started with younger birds once the bird is older their habits are harder to break and they are set in their ways.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is Beak Appetit? Could I add this to his menu during the day?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Rebecca, something new that I've done with Bitsy in the last couple of days has been a real hit -- I cut a small piece of cantaloupe with the peel still on - put it in his feed cup (peel side down). he loved eating it that way - pecking the fruit out. Later, I did the same thing with a piece of fresh pineapple with the outside left on.

Another thing that works well for him is to put 2 or 3 fresh fruits and/or veggies in the food processor and chop it really finely. He loves the little pieces. Sometimes he eats it better than others - but since I'm always offering different stuff, he will try new things. I always mix different things - in other words, every time I do it it is different. His recent favorite was yellow squash, zucchini, and some other veggie - I can't remember what the 3rd one was. He ate it like it was the best thing besides birdie bread! When I do the food processor thing, I do 2 or 3 days worth at a time.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Birdie breads can be a part of the diet. I too, serve a buffet, twice a day. Food cannot stay out all day. I give berries, veggie/sweet potato mash, carrots, broccoli, Beak Appetit, Goldenfeast meals, the foods you can give them are endless. Keeps them very happy to see what is in the dishes. I have three long dishes with two sections. That is a real buffet. PLUS I have the breads in the Tiki hut and coconut toys!

Beak Appetit is sold at Petco etc. I order mine, there are more flavors online.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Sallly, what is that log Chipper is enjoying? Is there a recipe?

Musicjan, how much is 2-3 days worth? I never know how much to expect her to eat.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, Musicjan, You seem to interest me again with your food talk...:D So maybe I could just blend up what ever is fresh produce in the fridge in to fine diced dish, so to say.

And the pinapple and canteloupe way, will that work with watermelons??

~* I recently talked my dad into making me a garden bc I love plants and all. I just picked fresh zucchini of my plant today, and my watermelon and canteloupe plants are starting to bare fruit now. Is cucumber good bc i have cucumber coming out of my butt! lol. Sorry, but no strawberries this year though... they were just planted so i have to give them a full season to grow into healthies so i will ahve strawberries to my ears next year. The joy of having a garden!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Lily, that is a birdie popcorn. You can get little bags of them at Petco! You pop it and give it to them. You have to get it REALLY cool first.

Kiwi, you can buy nice strawberries and other berries now.

I cook zucchini for my pets. They love it.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yah, I could do that anyday of any minute, but I always perfer fresh from the garden.

We have anyway strawberries that I picked up form the store 3 days ago and a bag of mixed fruits (honeydew, melon, peaches, grapes, blackberry)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Lily - I guess I give Bitsy 2-3 tablespoons at a time. So 2/3days worth is like a very small tupperware-type dish perhaps not even full.

Rebecca - that's the idea exactly! Whatever is in the fridge. He seems to enjoy it raw, and I've found that he prefers about 3 things mixed together rather than 4, 5, or 6. Who knows - little birdie preferences. YES! I have done the same thing with watermelon - it was a huge hit! The piece of melon, pineapple, whatever is about 2 inches square.

Another thing I do is clip a small stem of broccoli, a leaf of lettuce (not iceburg, of course), or a sliver of carrot on the cage wall right next to his perch.

Mmmmm - garden! Wish I was there to be a guest at your home!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Rebecca - a p.s. -- don't literally blend the food up - just make little chunks of it - Bitsy likes his about the size of the white part of a Q Tip. I have a mini food processor - I use that - with the steel knife.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts