Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my wife just went to winn-dixie. to get some frozen veggies and groceries. regarding birdie bread, do they sell it there? are there any cheap recipes, if so let me know so I can call her to get the stuff so I of she can make the birdie bread.
thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Here is just one site with recipes. You can find more. Maybe others here have more sites. You can change these recipes also. I don't use the vitamins and other ingred. if I do not want to. There are sites where you can buy the mix for breads. You can bake at home easily with corn bread mix, veggies, etc also. The possiblities are endless. Muffins, breads, etc. Things like banana breads too..

http://www.parrothouse.com/recipes.html#Sweet%20Potato%20Balls

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I've made home made from the recipe's available on line - but my local bird store sells one called Momma's Birdie Bread. My birds LOVE it - more than the home made.
Its easier and mine like it better so I use that now :D

Here's a link I found on line - I've never ordered it on line so I don't know if this is a good company or not for ordering - http://www.birdsupplies.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=BET-MBC

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I ordered Momma's birdie bread before I made my own. You can start that way for sure. SO many choices.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I mix them up and get a different one each time - So far they love them all - I started out with the original :)

I pick them up at my Local Bird Store -

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Have you tried Bitsy's Birdy Bread??

Mujician(Sp?) gave it to me and Kiwi always eats it!! --I notice, he only eats it when it has blackberries in it.

Private Message me if you want the recipe!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a great bird store in my area, however their bird bread mix is $10. I don't know about anyone else, but that is out of my league. I'm going to try a cornbread mix and put lots of goodies in it.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Yep, its expensive - I pay $11 :eek: - Its cheaper on line.

My rationalization is if ordered on Line there is waiting time and shipping etc. The birds love it, I'm not a cook or baker and I'm supporting my local bird shop :) - see how good I am at talking myself into things :D

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
It is great to cook your breads. I do. It is just an easy way to start. I bought one and then started cooking my own. Lasts a LONG TIME with a parrotlet.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I forget where, maybe this thread) but somebody said they bought the bread first, and their parrotlet loved it. Then they started making it themselves. So im gonna try that :):).
So if I buy a cornbread type mix, I can put anything into it? (I have a cool veggie recipe)

·
Registered
89 Posts
That's the idea :D
Put a whole egg in there - shell and everything - great protein!
Flash boil it first (boil some water and pop it in for about a minute) just to get all the yuck off. Egg shells are where bacteria like salmonella like to live, rather than the inner egg itself.

I like to put anything from the garden in there (zucchini, beans, squash), plus a little from the freezer (corn, edamame), stuff from the pantry (quinoa, yum!), or you could throw in jar of baby food. Sprinkle some seeds in the mixture or on top!

As I should have done with Kismet, just make sure you introduce it into his diet as the only new thing. If your bird has a reaction you can immediately tell what exactly your bird has had a reaction to. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yup!
You can use a jar of baby food instead of milk. Throw the whole egg in instead of the innards. Through all the veggies in, too - doesn't really matter the amount. You're kind of making up your own recipe and as long as you watch it so it doesn't burn (cook time will vary from the recipe!) should turn out delicious!

Give a PM to Musicjan and ask for her recipe :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts