Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Benny girl is now 1 year and 7 months old. I have been working from home during the pandemic (but have her for 2-3 hours alone in the living room most afternoons). I have now started with a hybrid model that involves working in the office one day per week. Benny girl is not eating while I am away. She must be worried sick. She has her huge flight cage on wheels, lots of toys, the light is on, the radio is on, she can look out the window but is not too close by the window, she has two kinds of pellets, 2 kinds of seeds, and even millet in the cage. 3rd week that she isn't touching anything until I am back home. She is a single bird and all alone between 6.30 am and 5.30 pm on that one day. I am worried. However, she looks happy now and is eating like there is no tomorrow. Should I be worried? What would you do?

·
Administrator
5,147 Posts
First, perfectly normal. Birds prefer to eat with their flock. All 3 of my guys have always been that way. As long as food and water is available they will use it when they can not hold out. They will not starve or die of thirst. Still it is a situation that needs to be monitored to be sure it does not get out of control. So weight her regularly to be sure she keeps her weight up. Place some big toys or other things in cage she can hide behind or below even in. Place the food behind them so she can eat out of sight. You might want to put millet or sunflower seeds, what ever is her favorite treat is for a while to entice her to start eating. Then alway make sur to spend time with her before she goes asleep, maybe in the morning so she can eat her full and fill her crop.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
I personally would not worry. She is adjusting to the new routine and she may just be a little stressed. You certainly have a perfect set up for her. Has any of that changed since you started your new work schedule? For example, was her cage always in the same place? Did you add any toys? Is the food more or less the same? Changes to their environment stress them and it is not unusual for them to avoid eating while they’re stressed. I find it very reassuring that she pigs out when you’re back home. The fact that it’s only one day a week also makes it less of a concern. I would just give her some time to adjust. Kiwi was often on her own during the day and she was always fine. I was the one who felt all the guilt. 😖

Edit: just read Ozzie’s response - great advice as always. I like the idea of keeping an eye on her weight. That’s an excellent suggestion.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both very much for your responses. There is nothing new going on. I will keep an eye on her weight. Weighing her is easy, get the scale out, put a banana on it and the banana slayer will land on it... Ozzie, I do like the idea of offering food in areas that are a bit hidden from the outside birds' eyes. I will also sit by her cage a bit in the morning having my coffee and see if she will eat so super early. Excellent ideas. Much appreciated 👍

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I agree. You have been given really great advice! (y) Poor little Benny. She is out of sorts with her mommy gone. Birds love routines – they like to know what to expect next because it makes them feel safe and secure. When something changes suddenly, like their routine, being prey birds, they think something is wrong. That may be part of the reason she is not eating. She is feeling a bit stressed. So, routines are great until you need to change them. Maybe, if you can, it would help to also change her daily routine up a little on the days you are home with her. A daily routine with a variety of changes might help her adjust to any new changes that come along. Just mix up things a bit so she does not have everything figured out. Nothing too drastic. ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Anya. Slight change in routine, can do that. I had a funny thought...
Benny might just be into intermittent fasting 😂🤣😂 but I know she is worried.
Her weight is stable at 28 g.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts