Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all think about Bird Harnesses or Vests if taking your parrotlet out side. If you think they are a good idea is there a specific kind- vests, cord, flat leash type?
Does it wreck their feathers of cause ingrown pin feathers ( If there is such a thing as a ingrown pin feather?)
Pros and cons?

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello! I never really liked using a harness or vest for a bird, but you can find them. I looked at my notes on this subject and about a year ago, someone wrote about one that they highly recommended. Maybe a forum member will respond to you soon. Sunday responses are slower in this forum. Please, if you get a harness with a string, etc., Please do not let your bird sit alone on a perch or tree branch, even though they are tied up. In Florida, we have a lot of red tailed hawks and they would love a p'lett dinner...so would the neighbors cat. Be careful!
:cool:

David

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
I tried it briefly when Tumi was a young bird. One of the biggest issues I found was that all the harnesses were just too big for him. Also, they all have a certain amount of hardware, making them very heavy for a parrotlet. I prefer a small carrier for outdoor adventures. He is safe, has food and water, and enjoys himself greatly.

·
Registered
813 Posts
You read about people thinking about or getting a harness for their parrotlet, but very few having much success with them. For many, they land out just being a waste of money. Probably because parrotlets are too small and the harnesses are too bulky, uncomfortable or they do not fit right. Or their birds hate them and get too stressed out by them. You cannot blame them. It is not the most natural thing to do to a bird. I know my bird, and like many other parrotlets out there; she would hate it. There are a lot of cute travel carriers online that are in my opinion seem a lot more practicable for our little guys. Your baby might enjoy being taken a walk in one!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello! I never really liked using a harness or vest for a bird, but you can find them. I looked at my notes on this subject and about a year ago, someone wrote about one that they highly recommended. Maybe a forum member will respond to you soon. Sunday responses are slower in this forum. Please, if you get a harness with a string, etc., Please do not let your bird sit alone on a perch or tree branch, even though they are tied up. In Florida, we have a lot of red tailed hawks and they would love a p'lett dinner...so would the neighbors cat. Be careful!
:cool:

David
Thank you David, I planned on putting the harness on him only when I would be walking outside. I am moving soon and it will be a more country type area. Lots of red tailed Hawks and owls so I know I won't ever leave my little bird outside alone. I don't even leave my two small dogs outside alone- coyotes. Turns out the P'lett I was waiting for is not the sex or color I was hoping for and the breeder wants to keep them anyway. I may go to the Bird Expo in June and take a look around. Crossing my fingers... Thank you for your great advise!

·
Super Moderator
4,505 Posts
I never had much luck with harnesses. My guys just would not tolerate them. The biggest thing I remember was one member who had a bird that did not mind the harness is that the tether was rather heavy and that at the end of the tether they ended up getting pulled back and sort of swinging like throwing a watch. Did not seem to be a useful thing to me but everybody is different and it may be worth the try.

Reactions: Lisa Tuttle

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
I tried harness training when Tumi was young enough to tolerate it, and had very limited success. He kept getting his feet stuck in it because the leg openings were a bit too big, the metal hardware was heavy on his back, and he enjoyed chewing on the fabric which means that it wouldn't last long. The problem with anything for parrotlets is that they have the beak strength of a bird many times bigger than them, so they have to have the unchewable things like metal, but they just don't weigh enough to be comfortable.
Small carriers (look in the hamster section) make a safer and easier option for everyone. No training, less chance of escape, and just as easy to go outdoors with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I never had much luck with harnesses. My guys just would not tolerate them. The biggest thing I remember was one member who had a bird that did not mind the harness is that the tether was rather heavy and that at the end of the tether they ended up getting pulled back and sort of swinging like throwing a watch. Did not seem to be a useful thing to me but everybody is different and it may be worth the try.
Oh wow, I was thinking the whole clasp idea was to heavy for a little bird. I was thinking of replacing it with some kind of light weight cord.
Thank you for your input, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You read about people thinking about or getting a harness for their parrotlet, but very few having much success with them. For many, they land out just being a waste of money. Probably because parrotlets are too small and the harnesses are too bulky, uncomfortable or they do not fit right. Or their birds hate them and get too stressed out by them. You cannot blame them. It is not the most natural thing to do to a bird. I know my bird, and like many other parrotlets out there; she would hate it. There are a lot of cute travel carriers online that are in my opinion seem a lot more practicable for our little guys. Your baby might enjoy being taken a walk in one!
Thank you for your response, lots to ponder.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried harness training when Tumi was young enough to tolerate it, and had very limited success. He kept getting his feet stuck in it because the leg openings were a bit too big, the metal hardware was heavy on his back, and he enjoyed chewing on the fabric which means that it wouldn't last long. The problem with anything for parrotlets is that they have the beak strength of a bird many times bigger than them, so they have to have the unchewable things like metal, but they just don't weigh enough to be comfortable.
Small carriers (look in the hamster section) make a safer and easier option for everyone. No training, less chance of escape, and just as easy to go outdoors with it.
Thank you Tumi and Dana!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I considered a harness but I find they all look too big. I know Charlie the parrotlet's owner makes her own harnesses.

We have a carrier for Monty and he come on adventures with us. It's very portable and easy to move. He wants to be on us when he is in it but he does enjoy the fresh air and sun.

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
That's the carrier I use for Tumi, too! I love that he can have food and water, and I can cover it if he feels threatened, and he loves coming on adventures. Because they are tiny birds with short tails, they can fit in carriers that honestly you could put inside a purse! Plus with the carrier you can keep the parrotlet out of your coffee...Monty definitely looks like he wants a sip. :) I outfitted Tumi's carrier with all sorts of stuff for adventures, and even have a bag that it fits in for hands-free adventures. He loves it, and it is great when we are visiting other people as well who don't have bird safe houses because I can have him out in the middle of everything and yet still safe and happy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for the advise, I will think about this more and just may go with a carrier.
My grey cheek used to go everywhere with me. He stayed put and enjoyed all his adventures, I guess he spoiled me. He also had a big beak for a little bird and a huge personality which is what attracted me to these parroletts. Grey cheeks are no longer available to purchase ,people have almost depleted them out in the wild, there fore making them illegal to take out of their country, Peru.
I really hope to find my bird soon. I have everything ready for him and enjoy reading about all your birds. Thank you for sharing.

·
Super Moderator
6,580 Posts
I bought a little bird harness that I thought Lilly would use, I got it from this place called leather for feathers or leathers for feathers or something like that. It was really cute but she absolutely hated it! The type of leather it was made out of was lightweight but also kind of soft and I was worried that she might be able to chew through it but it didn't matter because she obviously hated it. I have a little bird back pack and some of those tiny cages to take them outside although I have to admit I haven't taken them outside for quite some time! We are redoing our yard this month so I just might have to start taking them out more in their little cages!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts