Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I brought home my very first parrotlet. I had fallen in loved with him in the pet store but now I'm completely at a loss on what to do with him to help him settle in.

I have him in his cage next to me and i keep talking to him every so often. He is chirping, is that a good sign that he's happy? And he's eating a lot of seed. I just want to know if there is anything else I can do to make his transition easier.

Thanks in advance guys!:)

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Today I brought home my very first parrotlet. I had fallen in loved with him in the pet store but now I'm completely at a loss on what to do with him to help him settle in.

I have him in his cage next to me and i keep talking to him every so often. He is chirping, is that a good sign that he's happy? And he's eating a lot of seed. I just want to know if there is anything else I can do to make his transition easier.

Thanks in advance guys!:)
If he is eating and drinking , you are off to a good start talking to him is good here are some other tips for new owners ; http://talkparrotlets.com/showthread.php?t=14656

There is a wealth of information at your disposal in the sticky posts , in the various sections . Hi and welcome and happy reading ! :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would suggest adding millet to his cage right away....

Dixie's pointed you in the right direction in terms of the new owner thread and sticky posts.

WELECOME TO THE PARROTLET KINGDOM!

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Hi welcome on board. Yes millet to a new cage. Does he step up? If he does, continue to have him do so so he doesn't think he will get away with it. Also the sticky threads are excellent information. If you have a specific question ask away.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! You seem aware that Billy is eating/drinking well---a good sign.

How about fresh veggies, like snap peas or broccoli?
Lure him with green foods. Your bird will take time to adjust. Towards the evening, he will get friendlier, a good time to bond by talking with him for 10 minutes or more, and giving Nutriberry treats. A lot of patience is required with birds, but once they have your trust, they are great companions. Best to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi welcome on board. Yes millet to a new cage. Does he step up? If he does, continue to have him do so so he doesn't think he will get away with it. Also the sticky threads are excellent information. If you have a specific question ask away.
Hi! no he doesn't step up, he's really fearful of my hands or my partners hands going near his cage. He seems to be okay and happy as long as we leave him alone. Is there anyway I can show him that my hand's not a threat? He really freaks out if i put my hand in his cage to get his food or water bowl. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! Your tips are really helpful, I'm looking forward to billy getting more used to his environment and his personality coming through!

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Congratulations on getting your first parrotlet!

Training birds is like wooing them, seeking to catch there attention and interest so that they want to get to know you. Sweet talking, reading to them, singing to them, while near their cage is a good start. Generally I let new birds settle for a few days before introducing my hands much, other than for daily care. Basically, as you get acquainted you want to go at your bird's pace, slow and gentle, never forcing. Reading the stickies as suggested will give you good suggestions on how to proceed.

These are totally amazing little parrots, I suspect you will enjoy your new friend!
:)

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
There is so much to learn in so little time! Read all you can about your new buddy. The food you are feeding him should be for Parrotlets, not parakeets or any other small bird. MY p'lett eats cockatiel food because p'letts are called, " small hookbills." At least this is a start.

You should ask questions on this forum EVERY DAY! Someone will answer your questions! Send us pics. We would like to see Billy:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts