Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm not sure if I have updated everyone on Milo's little vocabulary. He only chatters when I am out of the room and is more chatty on sunny days. About 3 weeks ago I was in my bedroom and I heard him chattering, pretty loud. It sounded like a lot of jibberish like usual, and then - "kiss kiss" followed by two kissy sounds. He said this about 5 times. I almost fell over with excitement!

About a week later during chatter, I heard "tickle tickle tickle"! And I have heard it several times since.

I just returned last night from a trip to Las Vegas so I didn't see him for 5 days. My family came over here to take care of him. I spent a few hours with him this morning and then put him back in the cage to take a shower. As I stepped out of the bathroom I heard "Mommy loves me!". I almost died!!!!!! Of course when I ran into the living room where his cage is he went quiet but it was so loud and clear!!!! I have been repeating the first 2 phrases to him over a months time and "mommy loves me" I just started saying maybe 2 weeks ago. I went back in my room to get dressed and heard more chatter and then "kiss belly", which was so cute. When I take him out of the cage I hold him on my finger and I say "kiss toes" and kiss his feet, then "kiss belly" and I kiss his chest, and then "kiss baby" and I kiss his beak. My husband thinks I'm absolutely nuts lol. Some of you probably do too! But anyway, I thought it was so cute because I wasn't even trying to teach him to say that.

I am so happy he is learning to talk and just hope he is brave enough to talk in front of us one day! :)

·
Registered
812 Posts
I'm so thrilled for you... and yes my husband thinks I'm nuts too when I talk to the birds, but what does he know? LoL

·
Premium Member
12,210 Posts
Oh I love it! Especially kiss belly too cute and of course Mommy loves me is special but kiss belly LOL! I don't think your nuts just a normal bird person.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
No, no, no you're not nuts at all. Milo's showing you what a big boy he is! I remember being thrilled when I first heard Tim say "Hey Timmy!" I wasn't trying to teach him to talk. He just picked it up.

Despite all the tantrums, mood swings and attitudes, parrotlets are so precious.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am trying to get a video! The problem is he won't talk if he can see me. I tried taking one from the hall the other day but I couldn't really hear him when I played it back. I will keep trying!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I so hope my Sky talks but he is so verbal with his own sounds I have hope. How old is Milo?
Hi! He's 6 months. He just started to talk. I thought he never would because I have read owners post on here that theirs started as early as 2 months but he surprised me! I don't know of this will work for you but I have noticed that one teaching startegy works really well for us.

I hold him on my finger and put him close to my face. I softly repeat the phrase a few times. I can only do this when he is calm and not excited by something in the environment, so usually before bed. I know he is paying attention when he sits still and watches my lips. He will sit very still and watch/listen to me say the phrases for a period of over 15 minutes. There are many other words I say to him every day when greeting him, changing food/water, and in passing, but the ones he has learned to say are the ones I taught in the way described above. It is amazing because I feel like I can see him learning. I did not use rewards to teach him. Try it!

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
cute! I think people that don't like birds are silly and I tell them that their dumb cats cant say "i love you" or "yeah!!" when they're asked "do you love me?" lol

So happy for you and your little guy. :)

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Hi! He's 6 months. He just started to talk. I thought he never would because I have read owners post on here that theirs started as early as 2 months but he surprised me! I don't know of this will work for you but I have noticed that one teaching startegy works really well for us.

I hold him on my finger and put him close to my face. I softly repeat the phrase a few times. I can only do this when he is calm and not excited by something in the environment, so usually before bed. I know he is paying attention when he sits still and watches my lips. He will sit very still and watch/listen to me say the phrases for a period of over 15 minutes. There are many other words I say to him every day when greeting him, changing food/water, and in passing, but the ones he has learned to say are the ones I taught in the way described above. It is amazing because I feel like I can see him learning. I did not use rewards to teach him. Try it!
How old was Milo when you got him?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts