Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always had platforms in ALL my cages for all my birds. From cockatiels, budgies, quakers, and yes p'lets.

I had a massive scare today while brushing my teeth. I saw that my little Hpnotiq had her head stuck in slot between the platform and the the support handles.

here is the link. http://www.petsmart.com/product/ind...767034&kw=platform&parentPage=search&keepsr=1

I've never had this problem before, the only thing I can think of she was pushing it up trying to squeeze inbetween and got her head caught. I would hate to think what would happen if I was not home. It's been removed from both my p'lets cage. I think I'm going to try and remove the bar on the platform and grind down the edges... but until I can figure something out, it will not go back in the cage.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Wow, good save!

can you just wire tie the bottom to the platform to the cage to prevent movement?

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
thank goodness you were there! I have a platform in Kiwi's cage in my office but not in her main cage. I'm so glad everything is okay!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Yes, GOOD SAVE - that is so good you were home to catch that. I've had a Parrot strangle herself and it isn't a pretty thing to find - I'm SO glad you found that out before something more serious happened. You've already saved Hpnotiq's life :)

Tying it down might be best (although harder for cleaning) - even with the bar removed she might still be able to move the platform away from the cage bars and catch her head in between the cage bars and the platform. I could actually see my female doing this - I think the females are more mischievous than the males - my female is always getting into things and pulling cups etc off - she is also more acrobatic than my male.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Chipper has pads for her platform. She didn't use it a lot inside, so I put it on the outside sometimes.

I am glad all is well with your fiddy girl!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yes, they move so quickly that they can get into trouble instantly. Paulie got his head in a hole of a toy that I thought was too small for his head. My daughter and I were sitting right there and saw him put his head in the hole. It took us both to work his head out. If we hadn't been there...........Oh my!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Thanks for the input!! Next time I see that... I won't plan on getting it. :D

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, good save!

can you just wire tie the bottom to the platform to the cage to prevent movement?

Regards,

Art S.
I think I might do that... it just scared me so badly....

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have a pad on Kiwi's deck as well..maybe with a pad and the posts tied down in the back, it would be okay but I would be inclined to take out when not at home. Years back I had a very old parakeet who could no longer fly due to a tumor but she had some much energy and spirit..I used a deck for her to rest on a night since she could no longer grasp a perch or swing. Food and water was also nearby so she was all set in the cage.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm too scared to put it into the cage. I think I'll zip tie it to the cage and see if there is any way to squeeze into that spot... But I don't think she will be able to.

I'm still shaken up from it. between the possible resp problem (which is now appearing to be behavior) and this all in the 5 days I have had her.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts