Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Butters' vet suggested I get him a full-spectrum lamp. He's very happy and healthy (just had a clean bill of health at his annual check-up), so the lamp is to make him even happier and healthier :)

She suggested Zoo Med's avian lamp. I did some research but found a few negative reviews online for them, specifically that they may have flimsy construction. Since it was only a handful of reviews, those may be exceptions and not the norm, so I wanted to check with all of you:

Is Zoo Med's avian lamp a good one to go with, or do you have any other good suggestions?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I love my light it is from feather bright. It did wonders for Sky's feathers and the bird store I go to really recommends them too. I do not like ZooMeds brand of lights for birds or reptiles so I would avoid those ones. They don't seem to put out as much UV light as other brands.

Here is a link to feather brite's website-
http://www.featherbrite.com/

They sell special light fixtures for them but the light fits in any normal light fixture.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
I have two featherbrites too and love it:) I also have a generic from my local bird store too.

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
I have two featherbrites too and love it:) I also have a generic from my local bird store too.
How long do you leave the lights on for? I read somewhere only 2 hours a day and since I leave at 7:30 and don't get home to 5:30 and Baby is out with me till her bedtime 7pm. I'm not sure what to do.

·
Registered
747 Posts
How long do you leave the lights on for? I read somewhere only 2 hours a day and since I leave at 7:30 and don't get home to 5:30 and Baby is out with me till her bedtime 7pm. I'm not sure what to do.
You can get timers really cheap at Walmart or a hardware store. I used to use them all the time for my fish tanks. Work quite well :) They turn on and off when you set them to. The ones I had could be set for two on/off cycles a day, if needed.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
I have mine set on a timer for 1 hour per day... and usually during normal "daylight" hours so that I'm not extending the hours that my birds are awake so that I don't throw them into breeding mode :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
The Featherbright lamps are so expensive! And then the bulb... another big expense.
don't think I can afford such at this time but realize how important it is for them to get natural light and how enriching it can be to their feathers and general health.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
I think the Featherbrite is worth it since it sits on top of the cage and is out of the way. I did get a stand alone lamp with a full spectrum bulb from a local hardware store (Menards) for $20 and then the bulb from the avian store (same as the one that fits in the lamp, but is more suited for birds for $25... so not bad.

But you do have to remember to change the bulb yearly regardless of whether or not the bulb is still good since the UVB in the bulb deteriorates usually in about a year.

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
I got a bulb which fits into your regular table lamps at home at Drs. Fosters and Smith.com So I only paid for the bulb. They said you can use it with or without the lampshade as long as it is a light colored shade that allowed the light to shine through.

·
Registered
200 Posts
No Menards in Florida so may try a similar home store? Thanks for the tip on the regular lamp/bulb jeannepp! I will look into that also. Of course, ideally I'd love to have the Featherbright setup someday. I take my birds (cage and all) outside about once a week. They spend about 90 minutes in a screened area where the sun shines. It is so hot here...the lamps would be a great alternative and can provide for them rain, heat or cold environment outside.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
No Menards in Florida so may try a similar home store? Thanks for the tip on the regular lamp/bulb jeannepp! I will look into that also. Of course, ideally I'd love to have the Featherbright setup someday. I take my birds (cage and all) outside about once a week. They spend about 90 minutes in a screened area where the sun shines. It is so hot here...the lamps would be a great alternative and can provide for them rain, heat or cold environment outside.
I do like it for that reason too:) I think I may have seen the lamps at other hardware type stores and regular stores before, but Menards was the cheapest in my area...

·
Registered
200 Posts
The floor lamps pictured are 60 inches high maximum. It would not really compliment my cage as my cage is 62 inches high. I just ordered a desk top lamp which will work better for my situation. I didn't realize it but I have a 60 inch UV lamp in my office. I was able to try it with my cage and it would end up being sidelight instead of over the top light. The desk lamp I just ordered from Amazon is $30 and has free shipping. I'm sure it will look alot better than my small regular lamp I am using. Everytime I cover the cage at night I'll just have to remove the desk lamp from the cage and put it on the floor nearby.

·
Registered
283 Posts
That's the one that I have from Menards! Or at least a look alike:) I can't find the name of the manufacturer on mine...
How high does the lamp go up? Are there any "normal" looking standup lamps that are full spectrum? I want one that will stand in the corner next to his cage, but will look like it is part of the room decor/room lighting.

My hubby is so picky. He wants Rio's cage area to look "nice" lol. We have his flight cage sitting on one of those nice skinny tables that you can put behind a couch to look nice. I think they are called sofa tables or concole tables.

My husband calls Rio spoiled...more like my husband is spoiled! Rio doesn't care how "nice" his cage area looks! lol

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
How high does the lamp go up? Are there any "normal" looking standup lamps that are full spectrum? I want one that will stand in the corner next to his cage, but will look like it is part of the room decor/room lighting.

My hubby is so picky. He wants Rio's cage area to look "nice" lol. We have his flight cage sitting on one of those nice skinny tables that you can put behind a couch to look nice. I think they are called sofa tables or concole tables.

My husband calls Rio spoiled...more like my husband is spoiled! Rio doesn't care how "nice" his cage area looks! lol
Looks like a standard stand up lamp. I use it for the bottom cage of my double stacker. Bent at an angle (the neck is bent at 90 degrees from just above the middle of the bendy part), it reaches my chest... and I'm 5'5"... so I'm guess it's about 4 1/2 feet tall then. Might work, depending on how big Rio's cage is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts