Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been researching Parrotlets for over a year now and have decided that this is the bird/pet for me. Today I met with a very nice, friendly breeder who was selling a *very tame* parrotlet that is 5 months old. I read online that they tend to bond under 3 months. Is this true? When I interacted with the bird it was verry friendly. If anyone has had experience in purchasing a Parrotlet after the 3 month mark, please let me know your experience.

Thank you so much!!

·
Registered
835 Posts
NO!!! Not true. A parrot will bond when a person takes the time to train them and teach them trust and respect, regardless of the birds age.

Are you only considering one parrotlet? I suggest a pair, you will avoid many behavior issues by keeping a pair. It is more natural. Birds need companionship 24 hours a day, can you provide that? I have never met a person that can. I woudl suggest talking with the breeder and finding out if they have an opposite gender / non-related parrotlet around the same age.

It is possible the breeder will not agree with this philosophy. When I was first raising parrotlets, I was taught and so taught that the only good pet was a single pet parrotlet. I regret that now, b/c it is soooo not true!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I agree – a Parrot will bond at any age to whoever spends the most time with it and gives it the most attention.

And I second the pair suggestion -

·
Registered
486 Posts
I wouldn't worry about his age, either. I have heard that they will rebel during their teenage months and form new bonds! He will bond to the person who is giving him the most attention. The breeder ought to be happy to let you visit him regularly to begin bonding, if you are worried about your personalities. As for getting a second bird, much depends on your lifestyle and how much you and your bird can be together. Many of us have single birds that are very happy. Have you read Sally Blanchard's Companion Parrot Handbook in your year of research?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Chipper was 7 months when I got her. We are bonded very closely now. I have had her for a year and a half, so she is over two years old now. You can have a great bond, just takes time, patience, the right cage, foods, sleep, toys, lots of talking and positive training.

They are so much fun. I just have one Parrotlet, we are super close. She loves the whole family.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts