Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
We have a pair of celestial parrotlets, but sadly lost the female two days ago. The jury seems to be out regarding whether it’s best to get another bird. They were always together and we are so sad to see Percy alone. We would really appreciate some advice. Thanks.

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
Sorry to hear you lost your little one. Many of us have lost little ones so we can empathize and sympathize with your blight. We get many first time visitors in your situation in that most people do not understand what parrotlet ownership is about or how such a small little bit of fluff can get a piece of ones heart and or soul. What was the name of the little one you lost? We have a section called the Rainbow Bridge where we memorize many of our wards that have passed on and are waiting for us in what is next.

Tell us a bit about your situation. Percy is going to grieve so he is going to need a lot of support. Every bird is different, just like every person is different and how things go will depend on all involved bird and humans. I know when my first pair Bo and Jules lost the male (Bo). As Bo's bonds to Jules faded her bonds to us intensified greatly. In support of her we allowed her more access to us and in a way became a flock / family. It sounds sort of sappy but it was the first time I ever bonded to an animal that strongly or had one do the same to me or my wife.

Sorry about your little one but we will be glad to help as we can. Others will be along soon no doubt.

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum. I am so sorry it has to be under such sad circumstances but we are sure a bunch of people who empathize with you and Percy. These little fluffballs bond strongly so it is very hard on them when their partner passes. But it does happen, and they do move on with lots of love and understanding from their human flock.

How old is Percy and his little female partner? Have you had them a long time? While getting another bird seems like a good idea, it is not without its risks. There is no guarantee they will bond and parrotlets are very territorial and can be very aggressive. If you got another bird, you would have to be prepared to house them separately if they were not accepting each other. Their aggression can lead to serious injury and even death. Even bonded pairs sometimes have to be housed separately even if they get along out of the cage. That being said, there are success stories as well. It’s just a bit of a gamble and depends on whether you are prepared to have two separate cages if it doesn’t work out.

In the meantime, Percy will need a lot of attention from you. If possible, he should be in an area where he is around you a lot and you should speak with him frequently. Does he come out if his cage or ride around on you? Out of cage time spent with you will help him to bond with you more than he perhaps has done before. also if you can, having him close to you when you’re eating may help him feel less lonely. Eating is a very social activity for birds and being around you when you’re eating, and sharing your food with him, may also help.

These losses are difficult for all of you and my heart goes out to Percy, you and your family. It is heartwarming to know you are considering options to help him through this. He’s a lucky little dude to have such a caring family/flock. Please do keep us posted on what you decide. We are here to help you through this and these posts can be helpful for others who are in the same situation

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I am sorry to hear that you have lost a little one. It is always a terrible thing losing such wonderful little souls.
Regarding getting another bird right now, I personally think you should wait. I think it is too soon to decide. Birds do go through a period of grieving like we humans do, so I would give Percy time to grieve first. He may not be ready to accept another bird right now (if that is what you decide on). Waiting will also give you time to see how he is managing on his own. You may not need to get another bird. Right now, as Ozzie and Jackie have mentioned, it is important to give Percy extra TLC – spend as much time with him as you can. I would keep a close eye on him for a week or two to make sure he is coping okay. Make sure he is eating. (Check his food bowl to see if he is actually eating the seeds (And not just playing with his food). If you are gone for long periods of time, leave some music on for him. And giving lots of his favorite foods and treats would be a good thing. Try to keep him distracted, maybe some training or foraging activities would help. I do not know how long the emotional healing process of a bird is. I imagine every bird is different, but chances are, he will get over it with time. Keep us updated on how he is doing and what you decide on!

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
I agree on watching his health. Be sure to check his weight to be sure he keeps eating. That was an issue with Jules. She would not eat by herself. It is why we ended up with her more in our life. For the next 10 years she ate with us and while she eventually would eat away from us she really would not tuck in and fill up unless we were with her. The eating with her is part of what made us bond much stronger.

·
Super Moderator
6,778 Posts
I'm so sorry, my female lost her mate some time ago as well. We miss him so much. Like Ozzie said, she binded with us much more. I was her main pal until I had our son, and then soon after that our other female passed unexpectedly so Lilly immediately attached myself to my husband. Its now one of those annoying attachments. 😆 She flock calls all the time and won't get off him, ever.

I thought about getting another male, but the risks of them not bonding, mixed with the fact she plucks and I wouldn't want her to chew her friends feathers again 😳 And we still have three birds already, with our child it's just too much.
If you have the time and desire to devote to two, after some time passes you could try as long as you won't be disappointed or put out if they hate each other.

I'm so sorry for your loss. They are irreplaceable, it's amazing how every bird has it's individual personality. No two are the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts