Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Were you debating what bird to get before you got a Parrotlet?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I recently fell in love with some budgies and lovebirds, and now I can’t decide whether I’d prefer a budgies or a parrotlet (if I do end up keeping a bird in the future).
Obviously I don’t want to rush into getting a bird so I’m carefully researching what bird would work best for me and if a bird can work for me.
I wondered if anyone else did this before they got a parrotlet, and I’d also like ask why you got a parrotlet.
I joined talkbudgies; which I believe is owned by the same company as this forum. (?)
I haven’t found a lovebird forum yet, but I’m looking!
I’m thinking maybe a pair of budgies as both my Mum, Dad, Uncle, and Grandfather, have experiences with them.
Still not sure… xD

·
Super Moderator
4,833 Posts
I sort of got my first pair of parrotlets by accident. My wife wanted canaries and had a friend that was an over extended bird lady. She insisted that we take the parrotlets that we had no real desire to have. I did not even want to have anything to do with them. What we got were a territorial, aggressive, frightened little things that ran and bit. Early on I came home to a very upset wife with how much the birds were not what she wanted and she could not get back into cage. I decided to get involved to make my wife happy and we brought them back from the wild side. Best thing we ever did. I have never seen such intelligence and personality in such a small package. My grandfather had budgies that were sort of fun but nothing compared to these little guys. One of my regrets is that I did not find these little ones while my father and grandfather were alive. They would have gotten a kick out of these little guys.
What I can tell you is that parrotlets are probably a bit more difficult than a budgie. But that is mostly because there is more intelligence and personality there so they are a more complex creature train and maintain but are also more of a companion and friend.

Reactions: Miss Parrot

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sort of got my first pair of parrotlets by accident. My wife wanted canaries and had a friend that was an over extended bird lady. She insisted that we take the parrotlets that we had no real desire to have. I did not even want to have anything to do with them. What we got were a territorial, aggressive, frightened little things that ran and bit. Early on I came home to a very upset wife with how much the birds were not what she wanted and she could not get back into cage. I decided to get involved to make my wife happy and we brought them back from the wild side. Best thing we ever did. I have never seen such intelligence and personality in such a small package. My grandfather had budgies that were sort of fun but nothing compared to these little guys. One of my regrets is that I did not find these little ones while my father and grandfather were alive. They would have gotten a kick out of these little guys.
What I can tell you is that parrotlets are probably a bit more difficult than a budgie. But that is mostly because there is more intelligence and personality there so they are a more complex creature train and maintain but are also more of a companion and friend.
I hate it when people try to force others into owning animals that they don’t want to own, it’s just not right.

Yep! I agree where your coming from about budgies.

Aaargh those birds in your profile photo are so cute! I love when birds cock their heads to one side, it simply adorable haha.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I've had both budgies and parrotlets. I love both, but my relationship with my parrotlet is much better. However I am much older (15 years or so) and children/teenagers are not always the best pet owners due to lifestyle. So I don't think it's really the species in that case.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had both budgies and parrotlets. I love both, but my relationship with my parrotlet is much better. However I am much older (15 years or so) and children/teenagers are not always the best pet owners due to lifestyle. So I don't think it's really the species in that case.
I’m honestly just researching birds right now, I do not plan to own a bird until I’m an adult with my own property, it’s never to early to start researching though!
I’m curious to what you mean by being 15 years older because how can you tell if you don’t know my age haha

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
I raised budgies for 40 years before I got my first parrotlet. I will tell you this.....it is very hard to compare one species to another. I had many budgies that talked, did tricks, bonded with me, and overall, they were easier to train to do tricks than the p'letts. But, what the differences were, was in the overall attitude in the birds.

The parrotlets seem to be born with a certain attitude and they carry this attitude all through their life, with little changes. So if you have a p'lett who is really stubborn, who likes to bite and has a fear of human touch or hands, then he/she will likely hold onto that attitude throughout life. Some can change a lot for the better, but most will not.

The budgies can be born with a certain attitude, also, but I found that the human can easily change the budgie's attitude into a much better acting bird for the rest of their lives. There are always exceptions, but I am speaking ' in general ' .

I had a budgie named " Mr. Dusty ". He was 5 months old when I got him. He was the meanest and most cantankerous bird I have ever owned. He bit, fought, hated me and could not be trained to even step up. By the time he was 15 months old, he was the smartest, nicest, and the most creative bird I ever saw! The change was remarkable. If he was a parrotlet instead of a budgie, I really doubt that I could have got him to change that much.

I was fortunate to have had two parrotlets in my life. I wish I could have had known about them when I was young. I was lucky that both p'letts had great personalities and they had a wonderful life before they passed on. Bogie and Ricochet were the best! Ricochet died before he was 2 years old, but Bogie, my first p'lett, was 10 when he passed. Overall, Bogie far surpassed any bird I have ever had ! He was so human. He was smart. He was highly trainable. He did everything I asked of him. He was one in a million! I kept a life journal for the 10 years he lived and I wrote a 194 page book about his life. The book will be published posthumously after I pass. I had an artist paint a portrait of Bogie and she caught the correct expression on Bogie's face. This portrait will be on the cover of the book.

So, which bird to get will depend on the personality of the bird and how the human understands the wants and needs of that bird. I think p'letts are more set in their ways while the budgie can be persuaded a lot easier to behave better.

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts