Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Laracroft asked if I could do a thread on what it’s like being a dog breeder. So I pulled some pictures together for you guys! Feel free to ask questions if you have any. Breeding is a lot of work but it’s fun, too! It’s pretty normal to me because when I was a kid we bred German Shepherds. The German work lines, not the American show lines. We just had one female. She was really smart! She could sniff out drugs and track people. Her puppies were smart, too. A lot of them went into Schutzhund training. One travels the country with his owner teaching others about Schutzhund work. One of my brothers trained one to go hunting with him. He could track down deer.

Now we breed Shih Tzu’s. :p We have two females and one male: Heavenly, Bella, and Thor. Here they are!

Luka preening a puppy :D Don’t worry, this puppy was a little over 3 weeks. He’s all scrunched to the ground because he could only hold himself up for about 5 seconds. No teeth and still a mass of confusion. I don’t let Milo and Luka play with them. I just let them have a look while the puppies are young. Since Milo and Luka thoroughly rejected the Santa hats I made for them at Christmas, we used them instead for puppy pictures. I made several sizes while trying to figure out what would fit Milo and Luka. Worked out in the end lol

·
Registered
315 Posts
omGeeeeeee. squeeeeeeeeling for the cuteness. puppies puppies puppies!!! They are beautiful! Wow! just wow! I love dogs so much. I know you are an awesome breeder and these puppies get alot of love and tender care. The pic of the bird grooming the pub melts my heart. so sweet!!!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Awww, these pictures are adorable! I love the santa hats! I also love dogs so much, though I won't be getting one until I live somewhere they can be kept separate from Micah. My parents have been talking about whether or not to get another puppy though, so I may end up living vicariously through them! I don't know much about Shih Tzu’s, (grew up with Golden Retrievers) tell me about them? What made you choose this breed?

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys are so nice! Thank you :D You’re too kind.

As I grew up, I became allergic to cats then mildly allergic to dog fur. So dogs with hair fixes that problem! Shih Tzu’s are a ton of fun. Even though they’re small, they’re really sturdy. You can scoop them up and give them a big hug without feeling like you’ll break them. They’re a pretty even mix of laid back laziness and energy. They’ll have bursts of running around and playing then nap away cuddled up to you. They’re sooo nice! They love, love, love people. Whenever people come to buy a puppy, the adults are just as excited as the puppies to say hello and play. Absolute sweethearts. One of our puppies from our first litter became a therapy dog for a nice boy to help with his anxiety. Since they have hair, you can choose how you want them to look. They can have short puppy cuts, medium shaggy looks like we have for our’s, or long flowing coats (as long as you keep up with brushing and grooming lol).

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Awh!! On Sunday mornings I watch a show called Too Cute and it's about dog/cat/other litters growing up. With my husband's scary bad allergies/asthma we can't have any fur animals so I get my puppy/kitty fix through people like you :)

·
Registered
862 Posts
They sound like a wonderful breed. What exactly does it mean, that they have hair rather than fur? Does this mean anyone with dog allergies can have them?

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love Too Cute! It’s a fun show to watch. I like seeing the different breeds of cats and dogs.

So like how we humans have hair, they have hair. They don’t have fur. So instead of their coats stopping at one length and shedding, their hair continuously grows and needs hair cuts like we do. They don’t shed exactly but more lose some hair like you do throughout your day. Like how a hair breaks off or comes lose when you brush your hair or run a hand through it. Their coats can mat like our hair, so a lot of people just shave them short if they don’t want to worry about brushing them. Their coats can be really pretty grown out to the floor, but it’s a pain to to keep up with. Easier to keep them with a short or medium hair style.

Allergies depend on what you’re allergic to. My best friend is allergic to dog saliva, so she’s allergic no matter the breed. Dog fur makes my skin break out in hives and my eyes water. The Shih Tzu hair doesn’t make my eyes water or my skin break out. A lot of people with allergies tend to do well with dog breeds that have hair.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts