Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to all of you for your input on my new bird.

So I've been trying to give him more than just seeds. I got some pellets, but I fear they might be to big, so I've been busting them up. I also rearranged his cage, so he's less nippy.

When I go to take him out, he hated to leave, and would fly back in. So sometimes I would grab him, sometimes I would pet him inside the cage and offer him millet spray inside the cage.

I put him on the playground next to my workstation, and feed him millet, and he eats it. He'll then start to cheep, look around, cock his head, cheep some more, and than he's taking off back to his cage.

I took him out and let him watch tv with me, and he got between my legs and burrowed himself in the sweatpants (they're big). I let him hangout, and rubbed his neck some.

So I took him for his first vet checkup, and he's a 28gram healthy bird. They did some blood tests and the throat swab, and then they clipped his wings for me and trimmed his nails. He used to be able to get pretty high with the clipping the breeder did, but now, he just glides to the ground.

Since, he's been like depressed. He moves around his cage some, eats and drinks, but its like he's depressed about his wings. Its been a day since the clipping, and he seems to be a little better, like I can take him out and he wont fight it anymore. I put him on the playground, and he took off, but landed on the floor. I think he's figuring out his ability to fly has been limited.

I've been spending time with him, i'll let him perch on my finger and I'll just look at him (and honestly, admire him.. hehe, but dont tell him that) for awhile, or let him sit on my chest. He seems okay, but he'll start doing that head-bob-cheep-eye look thing.

He's very young, and I've read online and in the IPS newsletter that it takes time for the bird to relax, and bond with you.

Am I doing the right steps/things? Just kinda getting to know him, but handling him? I took someone's advice from here and cover his cage at night - I use towels until I can buy a big sheet :) but I have seen pictures of other people's cage setup and had some questions.

Do i need a light on top? Does that help?

Have any of you had experience with going from a kinda skittish bird to a bonded loving one? I got lots of patience, but I want to make sure I dont mess him up for a long time ;)

I also put broccoli in his cage last night, i thought he would eat the crown, but he killed the stem.

Any tips/recommendations? Am I doing right?

This bird is awesome. I seriously could watch him all day.

I've turned into a bird guy ;)

Thanks --

Andy

·
Registered
794 Posts
Well Andy there you go.. a bird guy.. huh. He needs to live no colder than 65 degrees. Be real careful about a light, I don't know if that is a good idea. Is your home cold? My house was built in the 30's and it's draftiness is a problem for me. I keep her cage covered across the back and on the sides during the day when it is a really damp and cold day. I put a thermal blanket over her at night that's really warm. I read at another site that they lose heat through their feet. See what everyone says about the light but I vote no to the light, they need 12 hours of peaceful safe sleep. Hey isn't bright light some sort of mind torture? LOL

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I have a Feather Brite light. You can learn all about full spectrum lighting and decide if you want it. I use it for two or three hours a day. I have read a lot about it. You can ask an avian vet also.

Sounds like things are going well for you! That is great!

I am not a big fan of clipping wings. I think a bird needs to fly, BUT.....It HAS to be safe in the home. Chipper likes to fly to her cage after we play on her playgyms. Just seems natural to me, but birds can get hurt if they do not have safe places to land.

Chipper was a wild child and she is tame now. Takes months for some birds to calm down and trust you. I would sing, give treats and handle Chipper. I have about five playgyms and keep them near me. She loves to play on them.

Do you feed a varied diet? Veggies, nice birdie breads etc... I give those and birdie cookies, muffins, a bit of scrambled egg, no oil, veggie mash with sweet potato..etc. Food is very important.

Yes, good sleep is crutial. I sing to and then cover Chipper each night. She also naps. We have a very nice schedule.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Sally I didn' mean any thing against a light like yours I thought Andy was asking about a light for heat. I wish I could sit under Chippers light myself yesterday was out first day of sun in weeks. It's been so cold and damp and rainey...I'm praying for spring and sunshine.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Oh, I see, a heat lamp!!!! No, I would just keep the reg. room temp. 65 or higher. Sorry, I didn't understand. Full spec. is not hot.

I got the shaggy swing at www.windycityparrot.com. I will go check and make sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts