Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. First, I’d like to start by saying thank you to everyone who has answered my other questions. I am a first time owner and I want to make sure that I am doing the right thing. I really appreciate reading your answers.
My question has to do with bedtime. I know apparently it should get about 12 hours of dark per night. My question is, he goes to sleep on me about an hour and a half before he’s ready to go in his cage. I have all of the lights down in the house, it’s just me, my TV is on very very low as in I have to have on closed captions. He is completely beneath my hair and so I’m pretty certain it’s dark. When it’s his bedtime, I put him in his sleep cage and turn off the TV and go in the other room. In this case, would you countOur quiet cuddle time as part of the 12 hours? Or would you still keep him covered for 12 hours? I know it’s important that they have darkness, but I don’t want to give him too much. Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Hi!
P'letts need 11-12 hours sleep/rest per day. Darkness is preferred and quiet is preferred. It sounds like since he is getting sleep/rest with you and then you put him in his sleep cage, he will be fine. I think you are doing okay. What I would be very, very careful about is your birdie sleeping under your hair/ around your neck area. Accidents happen, so if you fall asleep, even one time, and that time is the time he gets positioned to be crushed or smothered, then sadness will abound at your home. I know you are careful, but over the years, I have read too many " sleeping with humans " accidents in this and other forums. Please be careful. My last p'lett passed because of a freak accident.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
4,781 Posts
Sounds like you guys are doing ok. The 12 hour thing has a lot to do with hormones. In females that is egg laying. In both it is getting more bitey than usual. Mating dance, wiggle neck, regurgitation and trying to feed you behavior. They also tend to get grumpy and more aggressive with less than 12 hours. If you start to see the mating stuff and aggression then I would add more sleep time / darkness. If not then you are doing ok.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi!
P'letts need 11-12 hours sleep/rest per day. Darkness is preferred and quiet is preferred. It sounds like since he is getting sleep/rest with you and then you put him in his sleep cage, he will be fine. I think you are doing okay. What I would be very, very careful about is your birdie sleeping under your hair/ around your neck area. Accidents happen, so if you fall asleep, even one time, and that time is the time he gets positioned to be crushed or smothered, then sadness will abound at your home. I know you are careful, but over the years, I have read too many " sleeping with humans " accidents in this and other forums. Please be careful. My last p'lett passed because of a freak accident.

Dave
Thanks Dave. Yes, I agree about freak accidents. Thank you for caring! I am always mortified when I read that people are sleeping with their birds on purpose, Yikes! His cuddle time is 7:45-8:45 in evening, while I'm finishing work or watching tv. He's in his own cage by 9:00 sharp. Then I remain up (in the other room) until 11pm...haha. I agree 100% all it takes is once! I usually use it as my "tea time" to wind down. Sometimes I'm even on the phone while he snuggles. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer! I'm so sorry to hear about you little birdie and the accident. :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you guys are doing ok. The 12 hour thing has a lot to do with hormones. In females that is egg laying. In both it is getting more bitey than usual. Mating dance, wiggle neck, regurgitation and trying to feed you behavior. They also tend to get grumpy and more aggressive with less than 12 hours. If you start to see the mating stuff and aggression then I would add more sleep time / darkness. If not then you are doing ok.
Awesome. Thank you! So far so good on that. No hormonal behavior at this point. I appreciate hearing your thoughts!

·
Registered
42 Posts
No, hiding underneath your hair in a dark room does not count as part of the 12 hours required for sleep. That refers to time for actual sleeping, and does not include naps or cuddling.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I completely agree with Two Parrotlets. Naps or resting should not be deducted from the 12 hours of quality sleep that parrotlets require.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My p'let will often roost in a hanging basket for at least a couple of hours before I officially put him in his cage and cover him. Generally he gets10-11 hours of actual sleep time and 2-3 of pre-sleep napping. There's definitely more napping as they get older :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My p'let will often roost in a hanging basket for at least a couple of hours before I officially put him in his cage and cover him. Generally he gets10-11 hours of actual sleep time and 2-3 of pre-sleep napping. There's definitely more napping as they get older :)
Thank you! It's interesting to hear you say that. I was trying to do 12 hours dark and he just wasn't having it. And so crabby/aggressive. So....I made cuddle time longer (two hours) and shortened "bed time" to 11 hours. He's doing soooooo much better! Still.. roughly the same 13 hours yours is getting. He was getting too much before I think. He's such a cuddler! Thank you, your post was helpful!

·
Super Moderator
4,781 Posts
I find it interesting that you guys birds wait for you to put them to bed. Mine tend to hunt me down, do a nite-nite ritual then yell at me to let me know it is time for bed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good to know! Sounds like we are on the right track. Roosting basket sounds adorable. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts