Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello! i am planing to get some parakeets or more parrotlets, and i can afford the same cage as kiwi and avocado are in (this one i think: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075R7NGGK/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A10PRH2DFOVNA8&psc=1),
but i find it a little bit small. could i turn my bedroom into a bird room? i have a canopy over my bed so i dont get any poos on it, i have a farliy big closet that i can put all my (unsafe) stuff in, and put all my (extra) bird supplies like food dishes, food, unused toys, all the extra foraging toys (i'm gonna get a 30 pack of willow balls for $8.00 USD ) and stuff like that in a ikea shelf thing i have. my dad is a capenter/electritan so i can do a lot to my room.

could i do it?

·
Super Moderator
4,967 Posts
Some of the biggest issues with that would be making sure they get enough sleep. Birds need 12 hours of quiet sleep a night, and you probably don't get that much with school.
For birds, I would never recommend having them out if you aren't there to supervise. Think of them like a classroom of kids - when the teacher is in the room, everything might be great, but if the teacher leaves, all sorts of things might happen.
Birds are a very long term commitment. I got my first bird in 5th grade, and I had her for 17 years. Make sure you don't end up with more birds than you can deal with 10 years from now, because if you take proper care of them, in 10 years you (hopefully) should still have all of them. Also, avian veterinary care costs become more and more significant as you add more birds to the bill. Like dogs, cats, and humans, every bird should be seen by their doctor once a year, and I want to make sure that you don't end up with more birds than you can afford 10 years from now. I would spend your time on Kiwi and Avocado for now, making them the best environment that you can and putting your creativity to that.
Foraging toys are fun to make! In addition to purchased items, toilet paper rolls and cardboard boxes are free and have limitless potential.
As a warning, even with the canopy, you will end up with bird poop on your bed, as they won't always stay above the bed. Make sure your bed cover is machine washable, or consider putting a fleece blanket or towel over it whenever Kiwi and Avocado are out.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I agree for now, I would focus on Kiwi and Avocado and if you are still interested in another bird, only get maybe one more. Since you are young, as you get older and go through high school you may find you have less time for the birds and it gets harder to look after them, and this work just increases the more birds you have. Think of it in terms of hours in a day you have - if you have 2 birds, and give them equal alone play time, adding one other bird is 150% (1.5x) more time and work per day. This increases with each bird you get. I'm sure other forum members can help you weigh the pros and cons of multiple birds (I only have one so I'm less help, but my sole bird takes up a significant amount of time for me).

Also, when you are 17/18, if you go off to college, if you aren't able to bring the birds (e.g., you're in a dorm), your parents will have to look after multiple birds on your behalf. If you are able to bring them, would roommates appreciate having a bunch of birds in their house? When you are 13, college and adulthood seems like long way off, but it's not that far off in the grand scheme of things, and as Ruby said, many birds will live longer than you think (and you hope they do live long lives!).

Also, avian veterinary care costs become more and more significant as you add more birds to the bill.
This is true as well, each vet visit for Monty costs $200 CAN (about $160 US), and this is not including diagnostic tests or treatments. Avian vets are a specialty vet so they are often pricey. Are your parents willing to foot the bill for this vet care?

Add on the costs of the cages, the toys, perches, food (although bird food isn't that pricey really), and it adds up.

As a warning, even with the canopy, you will end up with bird poop on your bed, as they won't always stay above the bed. Make sure your bed cover is machine washable, or consider putting a fleece blanket or towel over it whenever Kiwi and Avocado are out
Poop gets EVERYWHERE. I find poop in the weirdest places.

To add as well - birds are cheeky. If you leave them unsupervised out of the cage they may fight, they may chew things they shouldn't (doors, painted wood, cables, plants, etc.). Parrotlets are less destructive than bigger birds, but they can still chew things up and even if you provide 100s of toys, sometimes they still pick non-toys as the things they want to play with. For example, Monty always wants to chew my blinds in my office. He gets caught immediately and gets in trouble, but still attempts to do it when I'm not looking. He has done this for years and probably still will, despite the number of toys in my office.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts